Hacker Lab Message Board › Tech startups are awesome, but anyone have any favorite hardware based startups?

Tech startups are awesome, but anyone have any favorite hardware based startups?

A former member
Post #: 267
Really curious about this one... The market is flooded with tech startups but we are really starting to see some really awesome and creative hardware based startups popping up. Clearly there have always been these type of companies, but thought id name a few I have found really interesting!

Maker Bot 3D printing is becoming really hot these days, I really want one!
Sifteo This is some seriously awesome and fun tech! I purchased three cubes and have been doing a bit of coding with them, it uses C#
Arduino I don't think it's really a startup, but still really cool!
Sphero

Id say the biggest problem with why we haven't seen more hardware based startups is simply because it's really expensive (I am sure this point will be argued via a more experienced hacker). Perhaps also the skill set required id assume is another problem as well. Either way I am sure the next few years we are going to see some seriously cool tech!
Charles B.
user 39919142
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
The most revolutionary one that I have seen recently is: http://senseg.com/...­
They manipulate electrostatic fields to create haptic feedback that makes you 'feel' texture; it was rumored to have been incorporated into the newest iPad....no dice. However, I believe this is the beginning of an interesting line of research that will ultimately lead to very realistic human-computer interactions...it's a very exciting time to be in tech!

I think that we might have opportunities to explore some of the items that you listed, especially Arduino. See my poll...

Ψ
A former member
Post #: 281
Id love, love to explore Arduino, I really would! Is the only place to buy a kit online?
Marsh
MarshWildman
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1,993
Here's one. He sought $20k on kickstarter and funded at a whopping $830k!!!
http://www.kickstarte...­