Hacks/Hackers Brisbane Message Board › Wrap up: January meet up

Wrap up: January meet up

Skye D.
SkyeDoherty
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 11
Another good meetup with plenty of enthusiastic discussion about possible projects. Thanks to all.
Here's a wrap:

G20 project
The G20 meeting of major economies is on in Brisbane in November 2014 and Hack/HackersBNE reckons it should be a part of the action. Wilfred suggested the group work on a major project and we all agreed. Initial thoughts are to create some data stories/visualisations that unpack the G20: what is it, how effective has it been, what is the economic, political, social and trade impact. There is plenty of scope on a project like this and we also have enough time to have a good shot a creating some interesting stories. The hope is to get the work out to media groups (local and international) so it can be incorporated into the reporting on the event - with credit to Hacks/HackersBNE obviously.
If you'd like to be involved, let us know, jot some ideas down and come along to the next meet up.

CitizenJ
We see possible synergies with the CitizenJ program run at The Edge. Hack/Hackers has likely got the ability to compliment and feed into CitizenJ projects particularly in the area of data visualisation, and data/stats. Parts of our G20 project might also feed into CitizenJ work.
I'll follow up with Matt Fallon and report back.

Honest brooking
Seen any misleading visualisations, graphics or claims about statistics? Start logging and sharing them. There's potentially a role for Hack/Hackers in keeping the bastards honest.

QLD Govt Data project
This project is in its initial stages and is open to input re what data to release. This is potentially a good sources of information for smaller projects and also an opportunity to contribute to the project in terms of what data is released, how it is formatted and the value of metadata.
Hack/HackersBNE or individuals can request data via the site: http://data.qld.gov.a...­
Initial thoughts were for data on: bed block in SE Qld hospitals; road fatalities with geographical locations; single vehicle accidents; water quality.
If you have any thoughts, let us know.

Skills audit
We'd like to get a clearer idea of the specific skills within the group so if people have projects or are looking for someone who can do a specific job, they it's easy to find them. This information will be fairly important if we are going to work on some bigger projects too.
I'll investigate the options for doing this and get back to you.

Discursis and other cool tools
Dan gave us a run though Discursis, his text analytic too: http://www.discursis....­
We'd like to have some more demos - it gives us all an insight into what you do and what tools are available. If you've got something to show us, let me know.
We can also organise training sessions on these tools if people are interested. Similarly, if there are skills in the group (skill audit, remember) that others might like to learn (stats and python maybe?) then we can organise some training.

Right, I think that's a wrap. Get back to me with ideas etc and we'll plan another meetup soon.

Skye