Hacks/Hackers Miami Message Board › TONIGHT: Miami OpenHack

TONIGHT: Miami OpenHack

Rebekah M.
rebekahmonson
Miami, FL
Hi!
Tonight is our first Miami OpenHack! Bring your laptop and be ready to work on something (anything)!
Our local Code for America brigade will be working to finish up some projects begun during Hack for Change Miami. If you don't have a project underway, I urge you to volunteer to help finish these up before the national submission deadline. Just find Rebekah (I'll be about 15 mins late) or Ernie and ask how you can dive in.
Some projects to consider:
MiamiWiki.org:­ Need help adding information to entries, editing entries, creating new entries, and mapping.
FLbilltracker:­ Rob and Cristina are wrapping this up, but they may need help cleaning up data or testing.
MiamiTransitSMS: This idea for an SMS transit tracker (as opposed to a mobile site) was pitched at Hack for Change. It would ensure that Miami's poorest residents (most of whom don't have smartphones), could get accurate transit tracking info with simple text messages. I think it's a hack that is actually achievable without a lot of coding knowledge, and we'd love to see a team form up take it on.
Bike data: The cycling community would like to track down and open up data that the county and municipalities keep on accidents involving cyclists, cyclist traffic, bike path maintenance etc. There could be a bike app for reporting problem areas, etc. at the end of this, but first we need to know what's already collected. Reporting experience and understanding of muni and county governments would be very valuable to this team.
See you tonight!
r