addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Hacks/Hackers Toronto Message Board › BuzzData's launching data-storytelling contests :)

BuzzData's launching data-storytelling contests :)

momoko p.
user 8662700
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys,

Just letting you know about a first iteration of a project I've just launched locally through BuzzData:

I meet so many professionals who say they want to learn to hack on data, but just don't have the time/community support/incentive to do it, so I've decided to put on monthly contests to "tell stories with data" through BuzzData:

http://blog.buzzdata.com/post/11648209699/can-you-spin-stories-out-of-data-prove-it­

Our first deadline is this Sunday at midnight (short notice, but don't worry, they'll repeat), and the winners will be voted on at our monthly BuzzData workshop (next one is this Monday at 6pm). Meetup details are also here:

http://meetupto.hackshackers.com/events/32434762/­

This hopefully will provide a little fun incentive (and some high-value data) for people — especially students and young graduates — to hone their data-journalism skills with some healthy, fun competition.

Please feel free to pass this on to anyone you think would like to participate, especially if you know journalism instructors. As it gets bigger, so will the prizes. I'd love to see this grow into a more international thing through Hacks/Hackers.

In any case, I'm very interested to see what people do with the data!

Hope to see you Monday!

Momoko