Hacks/Hackers Los Angeles Message Board › Seeking WordPress developers for open-source hyper-local news theme

Seeking WordPress developers for open-source hyper-local news theme

Anthony Z.
tonyzeoli
Asheville, NC
Post #: 26
Are you a WordPress designer or developer with a thirst for news and a love of open source projects? I am embarking on a project to convert a pre-existing news theme for WordPress into an open-source theme framework for local news organizations.

I have set up this project on GitHub and will be launching a site soon called, NewsTheme.org (it is NOT live just yet).

Currently, the theme features embedded CSS from a theme foundary that has to be converted to offer selections from the Open Source Google font library. The theme is dependent upon a custom plugin to move home page modules, so that has to be integrated into the theme. And, new styles have to be set for custom post formats, as well as fixing the story page layouts. It also needs a theme control panel, so that a logo can be swapped in our out and global font styles and design elements can be changed with selection tools.

Another goals is to roll in both Edit Flow and Assignment Desk into the theme, so that they are installed with the theme, as well as other plug-ins that handle things like Events Calendars, Classifieds, and Advertising.

The theme is currently coded in standards compliant HTML5 and looks pretty good on the iPad.

Developers should have a strong understanding of WordPress, including custom post types, custom post taxonomies, and custom post formats. You should be familiar with theme development and custom plug-in development.

I'm not a developer, but will be leading this project as its founder and product manager.

If you're interested in this project, please get in touch with me at az (at) digitalstrategyworks.com.