Hacks/Hackers Chicago Message Board › Seeking front-end developer to coach/teach entrepreneurial journalism studen

Seeking front-end developer to coach/teach entrepreneurial journalism students this summer

Rich G.
richgor
Evanston, IL
Post #: 1
Hey hacks/developers! The Medill School of Journalism has a class running this summer for which we are looking for an "adjunct" (part-time) instructor/coach with expertise in front-end development (HTML/CSS/JavaScript). WordPress experience would be a plus. It won't be "teaching" (syllabus, grading, etc.) -- more coaching and helping students achieve their vision. It's a paid gig, but not lucrative. On the other hand, for the right person, it will be a lot of fun.

Anyone interested should contact me at richgor@northwestern.edu.

Here's some background:

* These are master's students in journalism, 22-28 years old, typically. They will be working all summer (four full days a week from mid-June to late August) in 3-5 entrepreneurial teams, each of which will implement a web/mobile site or app focusing on a particular content/audience niche. We’re looking for someone who thinks it would be fun to help students realize their vision. We estimate this is will require 12-16 hours per week, some in person (working elbow to elbow with the students) and some remotely.

Each team will have at least one member with reasonably good HTML/CSS skills, and WordPress implementation experience. So they have a foundation of skills to start with. But I suspect each team will likely need some kind of help to implement their design vision. That help could consist of coaching, teaching or even in some cases doing some hands-on work.

The class is being sponsored by Wrapports (corporate owners of the Sun-Times). So one benefit of working on this project is the potential to develop a relationship with that company that might extend beyond the class.

Let me know what you think!

Rich