Hadoop-DC Message Board › Mid to Senior Level Software Engineer
Mid to Senior Level Software Engineer
IT-Discovery (http://www.it-discove...) is in the business of practically applying information retrieval and machine learning technologies to the fields of eDiscovery and corporate governance. We are a profitable, well-funded startup company looking to make one or two critical software engineering hires. We use Java extensively throughout our application, using technologies such as Spring, Solr/Lucene, Hadoop, as well as homegrown proprietary machine learning algorithms.
We are in need of people that can contribute and lead one or more of the following components in our system:
- Solr/Lucene search backend
- Hadoop batch processing pipeline
- Proprietary machine learning algorithms for text mining
- Groovy/Grails UI for batch processing pipeline
- Tomcat/Spring MVC/MySQL web tier
Here are non-negotiable qualities we're seeking in a candidate:
1. You love technology: You're a life-long learner, not necessarily because you need to earn a paycheck, but simply because you think technology is cool. You're a tinkerer. You spend spare moments of your time thinking about how to build the better mouse trap. You get excited at the thought of using the latest technology to solve really big problems.
2. You get stuff done: You focus on practical, concrete solutions to business-driven engineering problems. You have a proven track record of quality and timely execution.
3. You thrive in a fast-paced startup environment: Change? No problem. You are able to quickly adapt in response to business needs. You're a generalist who's not afraid to try lots of different things. You like it when you are trusted to solve problems with little or no direction. You find satisfaction in being playing a critical role in the success of a business.
If you answered a resounding "YES" to all 3 points mentioned above, read on to some of the more specific skills/traits we're looking for:
- 2+ years of software engineering experience
- A strong command of the Java language and object oriented design
- Experience with using any web application development stack (Java EE, LAMP, Ruby on Rails)
- Spring, Groovy, Grails
- Experience working in a UNIX/Linux environment
- SQL, MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Ruby, Python, or Lisp experience a plus
- Lucene, Hadoop, Nutch, or Amazon EC2 experience a big plus
- Experience with large datasets and terabyte scaling is a huge plus
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent a plus
IT-Discovery couples together cutting-edge machine learning technology with a killer user interface. We are a small company, but we serve some of the largest cases and clients in the industry. We offer the opportunity to work on the most interesting and challenging problems, within the context of a sucessful, growing business.
We offer competitive salary, stock and full health benefits. We're based out of Washington DC, with metro access from Farrugut North. To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .