Here's a fun task - it's time to select more books as we've nearly gotten through our initial picks.
Each member who wants to contribute a book should come prepared with 3 suggestions, and as a group we'll vote to select one of your three.
Here's what to do:
- Bring a short blurb, e.g. from Amazon, the back cover or a review, to give us a brief idea of what each book is about. Or if you've read it before, you can tell us why you liked it.
- For those of you who can't attend the 19 March meeting, feel free to send me your list of three books by 15 March and we will vote to select one of your three books in your absence.
Here are some guidelines for book selection:
- Must be available in paperback. If you need ideas, use prizes: Booker, Orange, Costa, etc.
- Or use lists:
- Fiction or non-fiction, classic or contemporary are all fine
- Make sure it's been well-reviewed. Pick books with some meat to feed a good discussion, something that will withstand analysis, not run-of-the-mill comic novels, blockbusters or crime novels, for ex.
- Something that can be read inside a month
- Consider old favourites you'd like to re-read and share
20 members will be able to attend the Meetup, so please sign up soon if you want to participate in book selection. It's important that you keep your rsvp up to date and that you do not sign up and then not show up, depriving someone else of the chance to contribute a book.
Thanks, and happy hunting!