If your tranquelizers and/or mood elevators aren't doing it for you anymore, and your current physical activity isn't producing the endorphins you expected, how about trying LAUGHTER YOGA!!
NO EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY, but a willingness to participate is!
Wear comfortable clothes and flat shoes (or a willingness to take off your high heels.) No Yoga mat is necessary either, unless you do not like lying down directly on grass (then any kind of covering will do, such as a towel.)
Here are some of the perks if you are willing to try it:
Physical benefits of Laughter
Research has shown that laughter has both preventive and therapeutic values.
Laughter helps us keep healthy by enriching the blood with ample supplies of oxygen, the lifeline of our system. According to the science of yoga, life energy (prana) flows through the breath. By controlled and deep breathing we can enhance our own well-being. With the 15-30 minute Laughter Yoga session, participants carry home the healthy habit of deep breathing at least 10-20 times a day. This helps to increase the lung capacity, thus enhancing oxygen supply to the body.
Laughter helps to remove the negative effects of STRESS, which is the number one killer today. More than 70% of illnesses like high blood pressure, heart disease, anxiety, depression, frequent coughs and colds, peptic ulcers, insomnia, allergies, asthma, menstrual difficulties, tension headaches, stomach upsets and even cancer, have some connection to stress.
Laughter helps to boost the IMMUNE SYSTEM, which is the master key for maintaining good health.
Other benefits include:
* Helps control high blood pressure and heart disease. While there are many factors for these like heredity, obesity, smoking and excessive intake of saturated fats, stress is one of the major factors. Laughter definitely helps to control blood pressure by reducing the release of stress-related hormones and bringing relaxation.
* Increasing stamina through increased oxygen supply
* Alleviates pain and gives a sense of well being by releasing endorphins, the body's painkiller hormones.
* Effective antidote for depression, anxiety and psychosomatic disorders: laughter boosts the production of serotonin, a natural anti-depressant.
* Gives an excellent internal massage to the digestive tract and enhances blood supply to important internal organs like the liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys and adrenal glands.
* Ensures good sleep and reduces snoring because laughter is very good for the muscles of the soft palate and throat
* Brings a happy glow to your face and makes your eyes shine with a thin film of tears which are squeezed from the lachrymal sacs during the act of laughter.