Help support your MeetupChip in
Welcome to Happy Tails formerly North Shore Active Dogs Meetup! We are a group of dog owners living on the North Shore of Massachusetts volunteering our time to organize mostly off-leash walks through woods, fields, and along the shore where and when permitted by local ordinances. You are invited to join us if your dog is already well socialized and has no history of aggression towards other dogs or people. Please be mindful of the laws as we do not want to lose our privileges at the few places available for off leash recreation.
The purpose of the walks is to allow the dogs off leash time to run, play, swim and hopefully tire themselves out for the day. All dog owners are expected to keep their dogs on leash until the walk leader has indicated that it is appropriate to remove the leash. However, due to circumstances as they arise, it may be necessary to releash the dogs at least temporarily, following direction of walk leader. All leashes must be standard length (6 feet) and absolutely no retractable leashes are permitted. You must be able to demonstate that you can control your dog on leash before your dog is allowed off leash with other dogs in the group. As many of the dogs that join us are quite large and rambunctious, this group may not be appropriate for very young or very small dogs. A general guideline is to wait until your dog is a minimum of 4-6 months old before joining one of our events. Be mindful also that these events may not be appropriate for children or elderly that could easily be knocked over by our high-energy dogs!
We respect the natural spaces we visit, and always pick up after our pets! The larger the group, the more difficult it is to watch the dogs when distracted while talking, so if you see that someone has not noticed that Fido has done his duties, please inform the owner. If you notice someone is careless about his/her responsibility, let the walk leader know. We do not want to perpetuate the bad reputation of irresponsible dog owners that result in the loss of our leash free privileges!
In order to optimize the safety and enjoyment of canines and humans alike, please read the membership agreement and abide by our policies. Looking forward to meeting you and your dog(s).
TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
I understand that attendance at Happy Tails formerly North Shore Active Dogs Meetup events might not be without risk to myself, my guest and/or my dog(s). I recognize and accept any inherent risk related to participation in Meetup Events. I also recognize and accept that some of the dogs which we will be exposed to may be difficult to control and may be the cause of injury, even when handled with the greatest amount of care.
I hereby waive and release the Organizers, Assistant Organizers and any hosts from any and all liability of any nature whatsoever including, without limitation, for injury or damage which I, my guests and/or my dog(s) may suffer, including specifically, but without limitation, any injury or damage resulting from the action of said dog(s) or any other dog,or person and I expressly assume the risk of any such damage or injury while attending any Meetup Event.
In consideration of participation attendance by my dog(s), my guests and/or me at any Meetup Event, I hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless, the Organizers, Assistant Organizers and any hosts from any and all claims by me, any member of my family or any other person accompanying me to any Meetup Event or surrounding area thereto as a result of to any action by any dog, including but not limited to my own, or for any other reason.
I agree to abide by the following:
1. Applicants must be of at least 18 years of age to participate in North Shore Active Dogs Meetup events.
2. Members must keep their dog(s) in their sight at all times and restrained when necessary. It is the member's sole responsibility to supervise their dog(s) when attending North Shore Active Dog Meetup events.
3. Dogs must be kept on-leash until the walk organizer has indicated that it is appropriate to unleash. Owners must be prepared to regain leash control throughout the walk depending on circumstances as they arise.
4. Flexi Leads(retractable leashes ) are not permitted an any North Shore Active Dog Meetup events. To help ensure everyone's safety, leashes may be no longer than 6 feet in length.
5. If your dog's energy level is not a match for the dogs at any given event and/or your dog appears to be showing any sign of aggression, you immediately must leash and remove your dog. If any others notice an issue or express a concern regarding the behavior of you or your dog, you will be asked to leash your dog to enjoy the remainder of the walk or to remove your dog and leave the walk. Your dog must be kept under your control at all times.
6. Happy Tails formerly North Shore Active Dogs will not knowingly accept aggressive or uncontrollable dogs into any NSAC sponsored Meetup. If a dog is identified by the Organizer or walk leader as aggressive, the owner/handler will be informed and immediately must leash and remove their dog. If an aggressive incident results in injury to any North Shore Active Dog member, guest and/or dog, the owner/handler must immediately leash and remove the aggressive dog and become ineligible to participate in any future North Shore Active Dog Meetup events. The owner/handler of the aggressive dog agrees to be and is solely responsible for ANY AND ALL costs, including, but not limited to: medical bills, veterinary bills and/or any necessary rehabilitation incurred by any person and/or dog that is injured by their dog’s actions..
7. All dogs must be current on their Core Vaccinations as determined by their personal veterinarian and by applicable law. A dog must be in good health to attend Meetup events. If your dog is ill, harboring parasites and/or other infectious disease, they shall not attend North Shore Active Dog Meetup events until they have received acceptable written clearance from their veterinarian.
8. To prevent the spread of communicable disease, if you have recently acquired your dog/puppy, you must wait at least 4 weeks until you bring your dog to one of our events.
9. Treats, food or toys may not be brought to Meetup events as they may create aggression problems between dogs or other undesired behavior such as jumping on people.
10. Be prepared to clean up after your dog so that we will continue to be welcome wherever our Meetups may be held. Failure to clean up after your dog will result in the loss of membership in North Shore Active Dogs.
11. If your schedule changes and you are unable to attend an event that you have RSVP'd "YES" you MUST update your RSVP to "NO" as soon as possible and no later than one hour before the scheduled event. Failure to update your RSVP resulting in a "No SHOW" may result in the loss of membership in the North Shore Active Dogs.
12. If you wish to promote your business or organization in any manner at Meetup events or on our message board, you must first obtain permission from the organizer of said group.
13. The walk organizer has the right to cancel a scheduled walk or other activity for any reason at her sole discretion and will endeavor to post prior notice of such cancellation on the NSADMG website as soon as practicable. It is possible that circumstances may occur that would prevent prior notice of cancellation.
Ann Dykes, Organizer of Happy Tails Meetup Group
BY PARTICIPATING in NORTH SHORE ACTIVE DOGS YOU CERTIFY THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE WITH the "TERMS OF PARTICIPATION " IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ELECTRONIC RECORDS AND SIGNATURES IN COMMERCE ACT. PUBLIC LAW 106-229
Additionally, please take time to click on the link below with meetup.com's terms of agreement.
BEFORE and DURING A MEETUP
Before a meetup...RSVP to reserve a spot, including any human guests you are bringing, and note in the RSVP if you are bringing more than one dog. Read the walk description for special notes regarding where to park, where to meet the group, and whether to remain on-leash, etc. Check our website or your email the morning of a walk. While we meet in all kinds of weather, occasionally we must cancel or delay the start time. If there are last minute changes, the organizer will do her best to update the website and/or email those who have RSVP'd at least 90 minutes beforehand.
If you change your mind about attending, kindly update your RSVP, so that others on the Waiting List can then be included and the walk leader is not left waiting for your arrival, holding up the others. If a phone number has been posted for the event, call the walk leader to let him/her know you are not coming or late. This is also helpful to the walk leader, so she can know if everyone has arrived and the walk can begin on time otherwise.
During a meetup...A short, positive, leashed "time out" can work magic to keep the pack energy at a manageable level. If your dog has the highest energy in the group, if she is beginning to herd or bark excessively, or if you feel he is on the verge of inappropriate behavior, you must leash the dog or be prepared to take direction from the walk leader to leash your dog for a quick time out or for the remainder of the walk.
IN BETWEEN MEETUPS
Check out our Message Board, where you can chat with other Active Dog Owners and arrange your own playdates.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZER
My name is Ann Dykes, I live in Newburyport with my husband and 2 dogs. I have a 10 year old Golden Retriever named Beau and a 2 year old Field Spaniel named Annabelle.
302 Carpe Diems
916 Trail Enthusiasts
500 DWC Members
1,198 North Shore Socials
1,049 People Interested in Socializing
1,231 NE Seacoast Paddlers