THIS IS A FREE EVENT. THE PRIMARY PURPOSE IS TO INTRODUCE BAY AREA PHOTOGRAPHERS AND ARTISTS TO THE LIGHTHOUSE (ART COMMUNITY AND PHOTO STUDIO RENTAL). This event is free, but attendance is limited. To attend you must RSVP here or on the Lighthouse meetup. Please do not register at both Meetups, and please be responsible about changing your RSVP to No if you decide not to come so others can have the opportunity.
Harold Davis presents "The Art and Craft of Photography."
Event description: In the context of his work, Harold will show how understanding photography and post-production work together to inform the basis of a new art form. The next segment of the presentation will survey some of the sources of creativity, in the context of some Zen ways of thinking---such as the utility of seeing the world with "beginner's mind." He will demonstrate and provide and overview of some of his unique processing techniques. Finally, for those that are interested, he will discuss digital printmaking, and show some prints on interesting substrates, such as Moenkopi Unryu washi and Moab Slickrock Silver.
About Harold Davis:
Harold Davis is an internationally-known digital artist and award-winning professional photographer. He is the author of many photography books. His most recent titles are The Way of the Digital Photographer (Peachpit) and Monochromatic HDR Photography(Focal Press).
In addition to his activity as a bestselling book author, Harold Davis is a Moab Master printmaker and a Zeiss Lens Ambassador. Harold Davis’s work is widely collected, licensed by art publishers, and has appeared in numerous magazines and other publications. His black and white prints are described as “hauntingly beautiful” [Fine Art Printer Magazine] and his floral prints have been called “ethereal,” with a “a purity and translucence that borders on spiritual” [Popular Photography].
Harold Davis leads popular technique and destination photography workshops to many locations including Paris, France; Heidelberg, Germany; and the ancient Bristlecone Pines of the eastern Sierra Nevada.
Here are a few press quotes about Harold:
"Harold is a man of astonishing eclectic skills and accomplishments." –Rangefinder Magazine
"Harold Davis' ethereal floral arrangements have a purity and translucence that borders on spiritual."
–Popular Photography Magazine
What folks have said about Harold Davis workshops and events:
• "A great artist and speaker!”—W. Anglin
• “Harold is genuine, generous, and gracious – He has a world of knowledge and expertise that he loves to share – his wonderful books show his monumental talents and skill set- his workshops shows the depth of his connecting with others in a very real and personal way.”—P. Borrelli
• "Awesome! He patiently addressed questions from the audience which contained photographers of all levels , molding his answers to the level of understanding for each of us. His presentations covered a wonderful range of technical knowledge as well as emphasizing the need for images to have an emotional quality. The images he shares are breathtaking and he is generous in sharing many facets of how he captures such beauty.”—J. Phillips“
• Not all photographers are good verbal communicators. Harold is someone who can DO and TEACH. A rare combination of talents.”—B. Sawyer
• “Inspiring!”“You were very giving of your talents and time. The course was very organized and thorough. Loved it! Learned so much! ... I also wanted to let you know that I have more than paid the cost of the workshops I've done with you by selling some photos! I have sold three prints already.”—L. Beck
• “Very creative and a marvelous instructor.”—Kay S.
About the Lighthouse: All skill levels welcome to join! This is a group designed to cater to creatives in the photography realm and those looking for a expansive space to make exciting art together. The Lighthouse is a photo studio/event space located in N. Berkeley. We run events, workshops and meet ups for people interested in creating art, specifically geared towards photography. The content of group shoots here ranges from fashion shoots to hanging from a Lyra to fine art nudes and filling all the gaps in between. We are affiliated with amazingly talented photographers eager to share their knowledge in lighting; professional models that carefully instruct the female form; and hair, make-up artists and stylists interested in making your ideas come to life.
The Lighthouse is available for private bookings hourly, half day or full day rates. We have professional, internationally published models coming through monthly, sometimes weekly. Also widely publicized, amazingly talented photographers on board to teach our groups on various topics relating to photography and lighting techniques. This is intended to be more of a coop of artists of various forms coming together in a common space. We are continually growing and building. You can check out the website at www.thelighthouseberkeley.com.
This event is free, but attendance is limited. To attend you must RSVP here or on the Lighthouse meetup. Please do not register at both Meetups, and please be responsible about changing your RSVP to No if you decide not to come so others can have the opportunity.