Harrisburg WordPress User Group Message Board › WordPress upgrade question

WordPress upgrade question

Richard D.
user 80664182
Harrisburg, PA
Post #: 2
I have a client site that, for one reason or another, is still on 3.5.1. I tried the upgrade to 3.8.1 from the admin dashboard and it failed. I also tried the upgrade from cPanel and it failed. I'm assuming that I have to do the upgrade manually at this point. I use a hosting service (in this case Bluehost) and generally don't do manual installs or upgrades.

Bluehost won't do the manual upgrade for me, and their instructions are essentially to use the WordPress instructions for the upgrade to 3.8.1. I know that it has been mentioned in the meetup that you should go through all intervening versions to upgrade to a version that is more than one major revision away, but the instructions on the WordPress site and from Bluehost technical support indicate to just install 3.8.1 directly.

The site is still functioning, with some problems (for example, the menus are not working correctly). I don't want to do something that takes the site down completly, but I need to resolve this problem.

Could someone give me advice on how I should proceed. One question I have, if I should install intervening versions, is where to get versions prior to 3.8. And, which intervening versions to install.

TIA, for any assistance you can give.
Rick.
Ryan D.
RyanDuff
Group Organizer
Etters, PA
Post #: 6
Rick,

Can you try and to the upgrade again and paste the error here? There's one of a few things it could be, but that message should help track down the cause.
Richard D.
user 80664182
Harrisburg, PA
Post #: 3
When I try it now, it gives this message but never comes back:
Downloading update from http://wordpress.org/...­

The first time I tried it, I did not write down the error, but it said something like it could not verify the version, along with some statement about not being able to find a file that it needed.