addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Hike and Holiday Celebration at Gillette Castle in East Haddam CT

  • Dec 8, 2012 · 10:00 AM
  • This location is shown only to members

Come join in on the tour of Gillette Castle which will be all decked out for the Christmas holiday season in a Victorian theme. We'll first tour the castle and then hike the trails on the grounds of the castle. The trails are easy-moderate.

We'll first get our tour tickets: $6 for adults (13 and up), $2 for children (6 -12), and small children free (1 - 5). Start touring the Castle by at about 10:30 AM. The tour should be done by around 11:30 AM. We'll then take up to 30 min. to eat a picnic lunch (please bring your own or some for others if you want to share) at "Grand Central Terminal/Picnic Shelter" as marked on the map. There are some picnic tables. Note it tends to be a bit brisk out this time of year so please dress warmly.

At about Noon, we'll hit the trails. Mostly we'll hike the old railroad bed of the mini steam train that ran on the property. We should even be able to hike through the old tunnel dug for the train! We should finish by about 2 PM.

Children are very welcome for the event. Pets on a leash are permitted in picnic areas and on hiking trails. Pets are not allowed in buildings or on decks, terraces or walkways leading to the castle.

We will meet at the outbuilding (marked as Visitor Center on the trail map) next to the main (i.e. big) parking lot as you head towards the castle. That building has bathrooms. Just look me, Kevin the Organizer!

Approximate location/directions (67 River Rd., E. Haddam, CT), park in the main parking lot by the Visitor Center:
http://mapq.st/11BzihU
[Lat.=[masked], Long.=-72.4286]

Trail map:
http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/gillettecastlemap.pdf

More information about Gillette Castle State Park:
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325204&depNav_GID=1650

=== Legal Stuff ===

By clicking on "Yes" for this event you agree, warrant, and covenant as follows:

In consideration for accepting this entry, I, the registrant, intending to be legally bound, hereby, for myself, my heirs, my executors and administrators, do waive and release any and all rights for damages I may have against any parties or persons connected with the Hartford Area Hiking meetup group for and related to the above listed event. I attest and verify that I am physically fit to participate in any portion of this above listed event. I grant Hartford Area Hiking permission to use any photographs, film or videotapes of this event for any purpose.

Join or login to comment.

  • Joan C.

    The castle was absolutely beautiful and the hike was fun with a great group of hikers.

    December 9, 2012

  • Neva

    Was really looking forward to th is. Sister is suddenly in a coma in the hospital. So I must go to her and support her family.

    December 7, 2012

    • A former member
      A former member

      Sorry to hear about your sister, Neva. I hope everything turns out okay. Hang in there.

      December 8, 2012

    • Neva

      Thanks for your condolances. Saw her today. Very very sad, esp for her husband.. Still in critical condition, doesnt look good. Very slight improvement (Nurse noticed she can blink)

      December 9, 2012

  • Lora

    Great 2 hr 15 min hike.

    December 8, 2012

    • Kevin S

      Thanks Lora! :-)

      December 8, 2012

  • Barbara

    Thanks to Kevin for planning a nice holiday outing and thanks for letting us crash. Happy Holidays everyone.

    December 8, 2012

  • ann

    Very interesting?.and good education happenings

    December 8, 2012

  • Erik N.

    I am sorry, i will miss this hike erik

    December 8, 2012

  • Kevin S

    Weather update (12 AM hike day): Weather outlook continues to improve. 30% chance of rain 10 AM - Noon while we are in Castle and having lunch. Low 10% chance rain for the hike time of Noon to 2 PM. Again, bring a rain shell just in case. Trail will be a bit muddy in places.

    December 8, 2012

    • Laura

      Sounds like a plan, thanks Mr. Meterologist ! (lol)

      December 8, 2012

  • Kevin S

    Weather update (report as of 10 PM): Outlook for the hike has improved to only 30% chance of rain! That is a low chance (think 70% chance no rain). Bring a rain shell just in case though! I will check the detailed forecast again Friday night. Good night all. :-)

    December 6, 2012

    • cathy

      Sorry, Kevin-but i'm not going to be able to make this hike tomorrow

      December 7, 2012

    • Kevin S

      Sorry to hear you can't make it Cathy.

      December 7, 2012

  • A former member
    A former member

    Anybody want to carpool from Enfield area?

    December 7, 2012

    • cathy

      I'm not going to be able to make this hike

      December 7, 2012

  • Kevin S

    Weather outlook: The tour of the Castle can happen rain or shine. At the moment it looks like 50% chance of light rain. I will know more and have a better forecast late tonight and I will update then. I will say the event runs rain or shine given the Castle tour and hiking in light rain is not an unusual thing to do. Just make sure you have a rain shell just in case. We have a covered deck at the Visitors Center we could use for lunch, if needed.

    December 6, 2012

  • A former member
    A former member

    Rain or not, that same evening is the Wethersfield contra dance. I hope to see some of you there! http://www.hcdance.org/contra.htm

    December 6, 2012

  • Joan C.

    The weather forecast is for rain - will this event be rscheduled?

    December 5, 2012

    • A former member
      A former member

      I hope so this is to far to drive for a rain hike for me....

      December 5, 2012

18 went

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy