UPDATED ON SEPTEMBER 19, 2013
Our date to volunteer is Wednesday, October 9.
The place is: 91 Marguerite Ave in Bloomfield.
On Sept. 29, I received specific instructions from the Habitat for Humanity (HfH) volunteer coordinator. These instructions are very specific, and it looks like we'll be putting in quite a good day's work. Here is what she sent to me:
- Arrive at 7:45 a.m. for the safety talk. Participating
in the safety talk is mandatory in order to volunteer. We understand that volunteers may have to leave early due to special circumstances. We only have one safety speech at 7:45 a.m., so cannot accommodate volunteers who arrive later in the day.
- Wear appropriate clothing…T-shirts and Rugged Pants/Shorts - NO loose clothing that cannot be tucked in to outerwear such as scarves, etc. Be prepared that clothes can be ruined while volunteering. Working with construction materials can destroy clothing, coats and footwear.
- Dress in layers; be sure to dress appropriately according to the weather.
- Have your volunteers print the insurance waiver and bring it to the construction site on their volunteer
day. The waiver is attached to this email.
- Bring bottled water.
- Bring a bagged lunch.
- Wear protective footwear (solid soles and covered toes, no flip flops, loafers, high heels/ high heel boots and dress hoes).
- Car pool… city streets are tough to park! Especially if there is a parking ban in effect.
- If your group is coming by bus, make sure that bus is available for transportation at all times.
- If we have to cancel due to weather/emergency Habitat will make the cancellation call by 6:30 AM to
the group’s leader. It will then be the responsibility of the group leader to notify each volunteer that there have been changes.
- Have a GREAT TIME and thank you for volunteering!!!
Two more things - important:
I need to contact the Habitat volunteer coordinator by October 3 with our final head count. Please confirm via an email to me that you will be with us on October 9.
If Habitat has to cancel our work day, they will notify me by 6:30 AM on Oct. 9 -- virtually no lead time. If that happens, I'll send out emails. But it would be better (for you) if you emailed your cell phone numbers to me so I could call you.
You can contact me (Stan) at: [masked]