Okay, so this group has been dormant for too long. I've had a lot of things on my plate and am looking to get the ball rolling on this (finally).
I want to reemphasize my goal for this group. I formed this group to help others who are in need. It doesn't matter if you have any specialized training. In fact, if you do PLEASE contact your local fire department or rescue squad to volunteer your services there as well.
My vision for this group is that we would be contacted or referred by other agencies that cannot begin a search until a set amount of time has passed. Then through this meetup site and an alert system we would schedule a hike or search of an area that a hiker has gone missing in. Using GPS and mapping software, we can provide data back to the agency that referred us and we can help possibly narrow down the search area and possibly help find missing hikers more efficiently. Obviously, at the first sign of foul play we will cease searching and contact the authorities immediately.
In the case of assisting search and rescue events already in progress: this is not intended to be a glamorous group, we are to follow the chain of command to a "t" and assist only when asked to. In these situations, I'd love nothing more than to help organize the effort by contacting local companies to assist with the effort: catering, port-a-johns, directing traffic, handing out fliers, etc. Having been involved in several efforts already, I can vouch for the chaos that normally happens.
My short and long term goals for this group are:
- to form a 501c3 non-profit corporation
- I will be working on a business plan over the next couple of days and I have an attorney friend who has volunteered to register us as a non-profit.
- to develop an efficient alert system to notify members of developing search and rescue efforts
- I have a former employer who I have spoken with that will help us out with this.
- to make contact with, partner, and assist all private, city, county, state, and national agencies
- I have made contacts within several agencies and will be working on a spreadsheet to track them as well as future contacts.
- to provide additional assistance to search and rescue efforts
- to provide education and "search and rescue prevention"
- to secure a vehicle such as a van to transport volunteers to search and rescue efforts
- eventually upgrade to some sort of food truck that can provide food and drinks for volunteers and SAR professionals.
Once the above goals have been met and I'm sure that I've missed some... the structure of the company will evolve and change.
I am looking for people who are interested in helping with the above goals, believe in the idea, and are willing to commit to making this company a success.
Ultimately, I would love nothing more than to be able to create a paying position for the right person to run this company correctly. Due to scheduling conflicts and other projects that I am working on, I wouldn't be the right person for this position.
If you're interested in assisting but cannot attend the meeting, feel free to email, text, or call me directly.
Thank you again for your time and dedication.