I know that reading my emails are somewhat time consuming and can be a bit copious (insert mocking and overly-sarcastic laughter here). I wanted to give everyone a heads up as to new things, ideas, adventures, etc we will be doing this year! So please take a few minutes out of your day to read this. Thank you!
As you may or may not know, in addition to running the three meetups (hiking, social and search and rescue), I am a full time student, single dad and am currently underemployed (which is why I am trying some unconventional business ideas). So, if I don't reply to an email right away, answer my phone, or am not available... please be patient with me! The best way to contact me is either by email or text message - I carry a Blackberry and can reply quickly and will reply as soon as I can! Now, on to the important stuff!
- Sponsors (of the Asheville Hiking Group) Please support our sponsors! Without them, there wouldn't be a meetup group! They have donated their time, money, and other resources so that you can enjoy the groups! With the help of our sponsors, we have a membership card for the hiking group. For those of you who have already purchased a card THANK YOU!!! For those who have not, PLEASE purchase a card! This card helps pay for the costs involved in running the groups and allows me not to charge any sort of membership dues! When you purchase the card, you are entitled to a 15% discount at Black Dome and Diamond Brand. Also, we will be doing some really fun outings for card carrying members! Please contact me directly to purchase a card if you or someone you know would be interested in sponsoring one or all of our groups or sponsoring a specific meetup, please contact me directly!
- Infowizardz - This is my personal company that I started in 2006, dealing with installs, training, support, etc. of computers, networking and consumer electronics and I have branched out into consumer digital imaging (scanning documents, receipts and business cards and exporting all of which to various programs) and QuickBooks support and data entry. Please call (828)[masked] or visit www.InfoWizardz.com to find out more!
- Neumann & Stair, CPAs PA - This is my father's CPA firm, they are located on Tunnel Road in the same building as Cafe Azalea. He is a Certified Public Accountant as well as a Certified Financial Planner. Currently, they are accepting new clients for the 2008 tax season and specialize in personal and small business tax preparation and consulting. Please call (828)[masked] or visit www.ns-cpas.com for more information!
- Black Dome - Asheville's full-service outdoor outfitter and core climbing store, independently-owned for more than 25 years. Located a few, short minutes outside of historic downtown Asheville, Black Dome is fully-stocked with outerwear, packs, sleeping bags country gadgets and cookware, footwear for hiking and trail running, snowboards and long boards, and the most comprehensive collection of climbing gear in the region. Please call (800)[masked] or visit www.BlackDome.com for more information!
- Diamond Brand - is a complete outdoor outfitter with locations in Arden and Asheville, NC. Their Asheville location offers a great selection of Golf Discs and Accessories and White Water Boats and Accessories. Their Arden location features FitSystem by Phil Oren, Advanced Footwear Fitters. Please call (828)[masked] or visit www.diamondbrand.com for more information!
- Assistant Organizers - I feel that it is VERY important to note that the organizers and assistant organizers are not paid to organize or participate in the group at all. In fact, I actually have to pay meetup.com in order to even have this group! These are volunteer positions completely! They work hard out of the goodness or their hearts so you can enjoy a great group! Please, when interacting with these people show them the utmost respect, courtesy and appreciation for the jobs that they do!
Please contact me directly if you are interested in becoming an organizer!
- Structure - We spoke about this briefly last year, I will do my best to ensure that hiking activities (hikes, geocaching, camping, etc) will stay on the hiking meetup group while Social events (bowling, bars, concerts, going out to eat, etc) will stay on the social group. The events that overlap and supersede these guidelines are: planning meetings, ANY search and rescue training or operations and parties. From time to time, I will list events that overlap between the groups and thank you for your understanding.
- We will attempt to post the meetups as far ahead as possible.
- We will attempt to list the difficulty, length, elevation rise, location, and type of trail that we are going to go on. Please check the length and difficulty prior to attending any hike, and know your endurance and strength level!
- Hikes - Once the weather warms up a little, we will be scheduling various hikes. Most of these will follow somewhat of a schedule:
- Fridays - begin overnight backpacking or camping
- Saturdays - more difficult hikes possibly camping or overnights
- Sundays - easier/shorter hikes, trail, and walks.
- Local short walks (Warren Wilson, Bent Creek, Etc)
- Other days - typically shorter quick hikes after work.
- Arboretum hike typically on Tuesdays (Free to NC residents on Tuesdays only)
- Kids night out! (very easy hikes with additional outings afterward (Fun Depot, Chucky Cheese, Etc))
- Outings -
- We are ALWAYS looking for suggestions for any sort of outing! If you have an idea, please let us know!
- Carpooling -
- Please plan to bring a few dollars for the driver if you are intending to carpool with some one to an event or a hike
- The driver will attempt to get a list of passengers and emergency contact numbers before we leave in case an issue should arise.
- Please be prepared to get lost! Bring a map and/or GPS if you do get separated from the group.
- Please drive with your hazard lights on so it will be easier to stay together once we head to the trail head.
- Etiquette -
- RSVP's: Please keep your RSVP up to date! If you change your mind, please update your RSVP, it gets very frustrating waiting for people who don't show up!
- Please show up on time! If you are going to be late, please either contact the organizer ahead of time or change your RSVP. With the hiking group, we wait for 15 minutes after the set time to depart then we head on!
- Please either familiarize yourself with what your organizer(s) looks like or contact them prior to the outing.
- Dogs -
- Please note that dogs are welcome on any hike we post unless noted on the meetup description as long as common sense is used. On some hikes, leashes are required. As long as your dog is well behaved and YOU can control it, you are more than welcome to bring him or her along, as long as they can keep up!! Please note that certain areas do not allow dogs (Great Smokies National Park for example)
- Other events - With the amazing number of people we have as members in the three groups, (I understand that a lot of you may be in two or all of the groups, thank you!) I feel that it is our responsibility to give back to the community. I would like to either adopt a trail, road, river or something along these lines at some point. Please let me know if you have any contacts or suggestions!
- I know that economically a lot of you are having a hard time. BELIEVE ME!!! If you are in need of a job or just some extra money, feel free to contact me. I am reorganizing my company Infowizardz, and I will be paying referral fees for new clients. I invested quite a lot of money into a special document scanner and need some more clients. The system goes like this: You refer a new client to me, I set up an appointment, I set up and install the software and database on up to two computers, I scan their receipts, business cards, and/or documents, export the data to Outlook, Quicken, QuickBooks or other supported software, give them a backup DVD, cut you a check for 10% for a one-time referral fee. Initially, you will be a "1099" employee until my calendar fills up. The more appointments I receive, the quicker my calendar fills up. Once my calendar is full and I am able to schedule another employee, I will hire someone on board to do what I am doing. After we have reached a sustainable point, I will open a retail location and hire for that as well. If you are interested in utilizing my service or this type of position, please contact me by phone or email! Thanks!
- Also, we do have several members who are unemployed. I will be setting up a meetup soon for networking and hopefully help people with their job searches. I would love some input on this. Thanks!
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their participation in this group. For those of you who do not know me, I felt as though I should share something personal about the group. I have lived in Asheville almost all of my life, I am proud to call this area home. I honestly do not know where I would be if it weren't for the people and friends I have net through these groups. I can only hope that your participation in these groups will benefit you as much as they have me!
Sorry for such a long email! Please let me know if you have any suggestions! (Other than shorter emails!)
Thank you and we'll see you on the trail!
Verizon cell: (828)[masked]
The Asheville Hiking Meetup Group
Asheville Area Search and Rescue Hikers Group
The Asheville Social Group
Thank you and we'll see you on the trail!
Verizon cell: (828)[masked]
The Asheville Hiking Meetup Grouphttp://hiking.meetup.com/441
Asheville Area Search and Rescue Hikers Grouphttp://rescue.meetup.com/18
The Asheville Social Group