Southern Appalachian Volunteer Search and Rescue aka SAV/SAR Message Board › All interested in this weekend's camping trip

All interested in this weekend's camping trip

Chris
user 6355514
Group Organizer
Asheville, NC
Hey everyone! I am not going to be able to attend this meetup, a couple of things just came up. Here are the details below. I everone has a blast! I wish I could go too!

~C~

The following link should give you everything you need!

http://www.buncombere...­

Campout 10/03
Search and Rescue Campout 10/03/08 - 10/05/08
Anyone is welcome to come out early, Friday 10/03/08, to camp out. Contact Jordan to make Arrangements (280-0590), otherwise:

*We will be meeting at Station 2 on Saturday 10/04/08 at 0900 to convoy to the campsite.

*4WD Vehicles are required to make the drive up the mountain. If you dont have one, no worries, we will get you there. Contact us to make arrangements.

*The Search Scenario will begin soon after arrival on Saturday and will continue until dusk. On Sunday, we will continue the search for the victim and extrication.

*We will be concluding the event Sunday sometime in the later afternoon.

*A link to google maps to the aproximate site is below. The GPS coordinates are 35.942401,-82.486864. Directions are below.

You will need to bring the following: (Contact Jordan if you lack anything.)
Camping essentials (tent, sleeping bag, lights, etc...).
Hiking clothes, shoes, pack. Plan for high-elevation temperatures and hikes through dense brush.
Necessary medical supplies (Medication, 1st aid supplies)
Food for breakfast and lunch. Dinner for Saturday night will be provided (Hamburgers/Hotdogs)
SAR essentials (compass, GPS, WATER, walking stick, etc...)
Anything else you feel is approperate. Keep in mind, there will be no electricity or restroom/shower facilities.

Directions
(Sorry, I know they are not percise, its better to follow someone who knows how to get there)

I26 West to exit 9.
Take Hwy 19E about 6mi
Pass the 'Triangle' gas station
Take the second road on Left past the gas station, Windy Gap Rd
Stay Right at fork, Fox Creek Rd
Stay on the gravel road at the church
Follow road until it looks like it ends, stay to the Right (looks like a private driveway)
You will come to a gate and a carved wooden bear. This is the entrance to the property.
At this point, 4WD is required. There is no parking nearby for 2WD vehicles.
Continue up gravel drive, before you reach house, take sharp cutback to the Left and you will see the campsite.

View Larger Map

View Larger Map