Get a great workout on one of the prettiest, and steepest, trails around, and hike up into snowy winter wonderland! The Old Mt. Si Trail is steeper, more remote, nicer, and a whole lot more fun than the regular Mt. Si Trail.
Hiking conditioning required for this hike: To sign up for this hike, you must be regularly doing hikes of 8+ miles and 3000+ feet vertical gain, or equivalent other aerobic athletic activity, such as long-distance running or cycling.
Sign-up is required to hike with our group. Please answer the sign-up questions as best you can. RSVP's without answers to the sign-up questions will be deleted.
• Distance: 8 miles RT
• Elevation Gain: 3700 feet
• High Point: 3980 ft
• Hiking Speed: fast, 30 minutes per mile
• Difficulty: very strenuous
• Hiking Time: ~ 5 hours
• Parking Pass: Discovery Pass required
• Dogs: Hikers only this hike.
• Carpooling: No-host carpooling is available from the Issaquah Transit Center parking garage,[masked]th Ave. NW, Issaquah, first floor, southwest corner, meeting at 8:15 a.m., leaving at 8:25 a.m. The event leader may not be at the carpooling; those there should arrange rides amongst themselves.
• 8:15 AM – Optional meet at the Issaquah Transit Center to carpool (no-host).
• 8:25 AM – Leave the transit center.
• 9:00 AM – Meet at the Little Si Trailhead parking lot.
• 9:10 AM – Start hiking.
• ~ 11:15 AM – Arrive at Mt. Si summit.
• ~ 1:45 PM – Arrive back at the Little Si Trailhead.
Mandatory equipment: Traction devices (Microspikes or Yak-Trax) are mandatory for this hike. (Microspikes are more rugged, easier to put on, bite deeper on ice, and the preference of most experienced winter hikers. If you purchase Yak-Trax, the Yak-Trax Pro is recommended; the standard Yak-Trax tend to break.) Gaiters are also highly recommended.
What to bring (this is what experienced hikers wear and bring, for comfort both uphill and downhill): Sturdy hiking boots, traction devices, gaiters, light or medium-weight non-cotton clothing for the uphill, very warm mittens or gloves, light or medium-weight hat, also a warm hat, rain jacket, rain pants, extra non-cotton shirt to change into at the top, warm, dry clothes, preferably fleece, for the downhill, 1.5+ liters of water, snacks and/or light lunch, sunglasses, sunscreen, day-pack large enough to hold all the above. Optional and recommended: hiking poles, camera, waterproof pack-cover, hot chocolate!
Directions to Trailhead: From Seattle drive east on I-90 to exit 32 (436th Avenue SE). Turn left (north) over the freeway and drive 0.5 mile to a tee into North Bend Way. Turn left, and in 0.25 mile (New Dawn espresso stand on the corner), turn right onto Mount Si Road. Go over the red bridge, pass the overflow parking lot on you left, and turn left into the signed Little Si trailhead.