Hiking and Exploring with Friends Message Board › Hiking Poles

Hiking Poles

A former member
Post #: 53
I'm considering buying one but don't know anything about them. Are hiking poles, the same as ski poles? What should I be looking for? Can anyone provide an insight? Thanks!
Rick
user 9278517
Group Organizer
Issaquah, WA
Post #: 6
Hi Sherri,

They look the same as ski poles almost except they are adjustable in length. They are not very expensive and you can get them at REI. Target may carry them as well. They are a good idea to help maintain balance when hiking anyplace other than on flat terrain. I have seen people use 1 and some use 2. It is a personal preference. When I have used them, I have used just 1. I think you have to buy them in pairs and see which way works for you.

Rick
A former member
Post #: 56
Thanks Rick. I'm actually considering them because my knees are hurting, for the first time, and thought they might help me not put so much pressure on my knees. Would you consider this a correct assumption?
Rick
user 9278517
Group Organizer
Issaquah, WA
Post #: 7
Absolutely! What really can hurt the knees is unepected twisting. Poles willl definitely help. I look forward to seeing you on a future hike. Poles and all!!!
A former member
Post #: 2
I saw them in Germany 15 years ago and considered them as a souvenir, but did not purchase them, because they are another think to carry

You may want to do a Google on "hiking poles" and look at BackPacker magazine and The Seattle PI Getaway section for reviews. Ditto Consumer Reports

They may be useful for folks with knee problems, because they are adjustable and have a spring in the tip versus a ski pole or wood walking stick

I am trying to minimize my collection of stuff so I am not in an acquiring mode

Hope this helps