If you plan to attend, add yourself to the waiting list and try to meet with me one time at a local hike, we will chat some more before moving you to the Yes list.
This is a long day road trip for wildflowers photos taking, hiking, a little bit rocks scrambling at "the desert park full of Rocks and famous Joshua Trees", Barker Dam and some other trails to other Rocks, Cholla Castus Garden.We'll try to get some small hikes and few photos as those I got from those who have been there previously
Difficulty: the event is rating Level 2 (Moderate) for driving long distance, desert climate and exploratory. The hike difficulty is Slow-Moderate/Moderate Pace (6-7 miles, 4-6 hours hiking time, rocks scrambling and elevation gain) Click RATING TABLE for more info
What to bring: plenty of water, food, snacks for lunch and a long day sun screen and most important 10 Hiking Essentials http://www.meetup.com...
ABOUT THE JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK: http://www.nps.gov/jo...
A Desert Park: Viewed from the road, this desert park only hints at its vitality. Closer examination reveals a fascinating variety of plants and animals that make their home in this land shaped by strong winds, unpredictable torrents of rain, and climatic extremes. Dark night skies, a rich cultural history, and surreal geologic features add to the attraction of this place. Come see for yourself
Arrange your carpool in Orange Park and Ride or meet at West Entrance Visitor Center South of Hwy 62 (Twentynine Palms Highway) on Park Boulevard in the Village of Joshua Tree. Driving direction below
1. Wonderland of Rocks (closed April 8-30; our plan B: Ryan Mtn, Mastodon Peak, and more): it's a tough trail with rocks scrambling. We can do a shuttle hike and spend at least 5 hours for this 5.5 miles one way from Boy Scout trailhead to Indian Cove or we should start hiking from Indian Cove picnic trailhead for almost 3 hours to Rasttlesnake Canyon and Willow Hole and return the same way. Having lunch at Indian Cove Picnic area.
2. More Rocks and Cholla Castus Garden: drive back out to the 62 Hwy and further East to the North Entrance. We'll stop by small hikes for some great photos: Arches Rock, then stopping by Cholla Castus Garden, turn back to Jumbo Rocks, Skull Rock and Cap Rock. Optional Ryan Mtn for those who are interested if time allows.
3. Barker Dam and Wall Street Mill: an easy hike to Wall Street Mill out and back, then a nature tour walk to man made lake at Barker Dam to end our day at sunset...
Joshua Tree National Park lies 140 miles east of Los Angeles, 175 miles northeast of San Diego, and 215 miles southwest of Las Vegas. You can approach it from Interstate 10 and Hwy 62 (Twentynine Palms Highway)
***Park & Ride in Orange on N Tustin St and E Lincoln Ave Orange, CA 92865***
Traveling NORTH on the 55, exit Lincoln Ave. West. Make 2 lefts, go under the freeway and take a left onto Tustin Ave. heading South. If you're traveling SOUTH on the 55, exit Lincoln and make a left on Tustin. The Park & Ride will be on your left hand side. You'll need to make a U-Turn to get to this side of the street
To read more about Joshua Tree and maps:
1. Joshua Tree: http://www.nps.gov/jo...
2. Area Map: http://www.nps.gov/jo...
3. Indian Cove Visitor Center: http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/upload/indiancove.pdf
4. Barker Dam: http://www.nps.gov/jo...
5. Park All Maps: http://www.nps.gov/jo...
***By joining the meetup, you agree to Meetup Terms of Service releases the Organizer and Assistant Organizers from any liability related to incidents that occur at Meetup gatherings***
> YOU acknowledge THAT WE ARE NOT PROFESSIONALS.
> YOU ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR SAFETY
Hiking is a rewarding and pleasant activity in nature, but there are certain dangers you should be aware of. Those include, but are not limited to, trip and fall injuries, bee stings, poison oak exposure, ticks, snake bites, coyotes, mountain lions or wildlife. By signing up for this event, you agree to hold harmless the hike organizer, assistant organizers and other participants for any injuries sustained during this hike***