***NO PARKING ZONE and Driving Direction: see below FYI***
Routes, Distance and Duration:
There will be at least 3 groups this evening. This is a dog friendly trail...We'll catch the beautiful sunset...Either taking Eucalyptus trail and be on the ridge trail with roller coaster hills or coming up from the lower trail via Scout Hill together to the top (highest point and a lookout at Peters Canyon) and descent down Red Hill to the rest table. From here, options of flat trail all the way back or hills trail to the trailhead or extra to the lake is depends on the groups.
1. Introduction to Hiking: this route is for those who are new to hiking or first time joining HikingOC and never been to Peters Canyon. If there is this group, you'll be with Lily by warming up in the canyon before going uphill to rejoin the group. Requirement: have been active on other exercises or walking on flat surface as you will be hiking on flat and up-downhill trails in slow moderate pace in about 2 hours. Elev. gain about 500+/-ft
2. Advanced Beginners: this route is for those who prefer to hiker slower on the roller coaster trail. We will have both flat and up-downhill trails in slow moderate pace depending on the group. Elev. gain from 500+/-ft
3. Intermediate: a great regular workout with roller coaster hills for fit intermediate hikers. This route is rounding up to 5 miles in about 75 min to 1.5 hours in moderate pace and few stops. Elev. gain about 700+/-ft
4. Intermediate Plus and more: this route is moving faster, moderate fast pace with very little stops for those of you who like to do another 1.5 miles extra with few more short hills to side of the lake (clockwise, out and back) Total distance is 6+/-miles in max 2 hours. Elev. gain about 1000ft
1) Everybody should have good tracking shoes or traction running shoes
2) loose clothes- shorts would be fine since its warm out there
3) Plenty of water
The most important: 10 Hiking Essentials Click to read more about HIKING SKILL LEVELS
***Sometimes you may get a ticket if you park in the zone "NO PARKING anytime" Try to come early or park at Cedar Grove Park parking***
1. From the 5 Freeway- exit Tustin Ranch Road and head towards the foothills and drive approx. 3 miles. Get in the left hand lane and take a left on Pioneer WAY (signal). Now get into the right lane and take the next right on Pioneer ROAD (signal). This road will wind around Cedar Grove Park. Continue to the first stop sign and take a left on Peters Canyon Road (stop sign). Take this road down around a little curve and park on the right side of the curb at the end of the road. We will meet at the sign for Peter's Canyon Trail
2. Another location for parking: Park in North Tustin. Address: 2158 Lower Lake Dr. , Santa Ana, CA 92705 Parking is on the parking lot or on the street
From North or Central OC, take the 55 Frwy exit Chapman Ave in Orange, go toward the mountains for 2.2 miles, then turn right on S. Crawford Canyon Rd for about 1 mile, then left onto Newport Blvd, then right onto Cowen Heights Dr, right onto Skyline Dr, then left onto Lemon Heights and continue to Lower Lake Dr.
***By joining the meetup, you agree to Meetup Terms of Service releases the Organizer and Assistant Organizers from any liability related to incidents that occur at Meetup gatherings***
> YOU acknowledge THAT WE ARE NOT PROFESSIONALS.
> YOU ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR SAFETY
Hiking is a rewarding and pleasant activity in nature, but there are certain dangers you should be aware of. Those include, but are not limited to, trip and fall injuries, bee stings, poison oak exposure, ticks and snake bites. By signing up for this event, you agree to hold harmless the hike organizer, assistant organizers and other participants for any injuries sustained during this hike***