Lets have some Sunday avo drinks on historic Fleet Street at George on the Strand*
It remains unclear whether The George, founded in 1723 as a coffee house, was named after the reigning monarch, George III or its original proprietor, a man by the name of George Simpkins. Before it became a public house the building was turned into George’s Hotel in 1830. The portrait on the pub’s sign is not of Simpkins but rather George III and is best known for his bouts of madness.
Although the design of the building appears to be 18th century it is in fact late Victorian, even the reproduction half-timbered façade. The work was commissioned by the then owner and entrepreneur Frederick Stanley in the late 1890s, following a popular Victorian trend of imitating the timbered style of several centuries earlier. Allegedly the headless ghost of a cavalier haunts the cellar.
*technically its not on the Strand it's on Fleet Street opposite the Royal Courts of Justice.