Archaeology at the Madison House, Brookeville, MD
Bob Hines, Archaeolgical Society of Maryland, Teacher, Richard Montgomery High School
This summer, a group of volunteers and students with the Archaeological Society of Maryland, in conjunction with M-NCPPC archaeologists, participated in an archaeological dig surrounding the Madison House in Brookeville, Maryland. The house on East Market Street provided refuge for President James Madison during the War of 1812, and was the location for the Nation's Capital on August 26, 1814, while Washington was recovering from the attack two days prior during the War of 1812.
Join Bob Hines at the Sandy Spring Museum as he presents current findings from the Madison House, and what plans are for the upcoming months as Maryland prepares for it's bicentennial commemoration of the War of 1812.
Bob Hines is a lifelong and multi-generational resident of Olney, (Hines/Finneyfrock Blacksmith Shop, Hines Road, Hines Hatchery). He is a graduate of Towson State University with a degree in History and Masters Degree in History from Johns Hopkins University. He has been a teacher of history in Montgomery County for 45 years; and MNCPPC volunteer for 30 years. Bob has served as coordinator and field director of “Volunteers in Archaeology” for the past 30 years and have been teaching in the IB program at Richard Montgomery for 28 years.