History of Philosophy Book Club Message Board › Flexibility with scheduling books

Flexibility with scheduling books

Scott
user 6899431
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 57
At our last meeting we agreed that our second book would be Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics and that we would discuss it at our December meeting. However, as I re-read Plato's Dialogues, I realize we could spend an entire meeting on one or two of them, let alone five. Hence I think our best strategy is to see how much we cover at the Plato meeting next month, and if people feel there is still a lot more to discuss, continue with the Dialogues in December. That would push Aristotle back to January, unless we are all talked out with Plato in November.

If this sounds confusing, the bottom line is: consider buying the Nichomachean Ethics now, so you can factor in order and delivery time if we plan to discuss it in December. Any edition is acceptable. The following edition, edited by W. D. Ross, has gotten positive reviews and is available at amazon.com for $6.99 (paperback): Nichomachean Ethics.
A former member
Post #: 1
I personally recommend the Penguin edition. It's about two dollars more, but the editor is Jonathan Barnes, who edited the current Oxford Complete Works of Aristotle.

Another possibility, for those who would like to have a wider variety of Aristotle's works on hand for future reference (since many later authors refer to his works) is Richard McKeon's Introduction to Aristotle. It has a fair selection of his texts, including the Ethics and Politics in full.