Great Gatsby Bay Boat Tour - Long Island - 2 hour boat tour of Manhasset Bay
Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 classic, The Great Gatsby was set on "that slender riotous island" otherwise known as Long Island. Join us on a boat tour of the bay that ignited Fitzgerald's imagination and become familiar with the peninsulas of West Egg (King's Point) and East Egg (Sand's Point). Yacht clubs founded before the turn of the 20th century grace the harbor and continue Port Washington's yachting tradition. The homes of such legendary businessmen as Carl Fisher and John Hay (Jock) Whitney stand as they did in the days of the Prohibition. Try to envision where Gatsby's mansion might have stood and exchange stories of "the roaring twenties" on Long Island - a microcosm of the U.S.'s pre-WWII revolution in manners and morals.
Time Frame Summary:
* 10:00 AM - Meet in Penn Station - Tracks Raw Bar & Grill - It is across from the McDonald's and next to a row of ticket vending machines. If you don't know where it is, ask!
* 10:18 AM - Departing Train from Penn Station to Port Washington
* 11:05 AM - Arrival in Port Washington; it's a cute town so we can walk around for a bit
* 11:30/11:45 PM - Lunch in Port Washington at Louie's http://www.louiesoysterbarandgrille.com/
* 2:00 PM - Boat Tour - 2 hours
* 4:40 PM - Departing Train from Port Washington to Penn Station (Please note that I will be taking the train back to Bayside.)
* 5:25 PM - Arrival in Penn Station
Cost Summary - Please note each person is responsible for his/her own cost.
I listed the charge so everyone is aware of the static boat ticket charge.
* Boat Tour - Adults - $25 + $2.25 fee via online payment - Please purchase ticket(s) at this link: http://greatgatsbyboattour.ticketleap.com/20130622/t/2013/
* Long Island RailRoad Ticket- OffPeak - $16.00 - $8.00 each way
From NY Penn Station to Port Washington
* Lunch - Variable. Poll results=we will be sitting down to lunch. You will pay for what you owe based on a Long Island tax of 8.63% and 20% tip or approximately ~30%.
* Cab - from Port Washington Station to Town Dock and back - $6 each way; this can be split. You can also walk if you'd like.
* Please note that I have allowed for a 15 minute grace period to meet. If you are late,
your ticket should be good for the next train and you should have enough time to make the tour Please visit the MTA LIRR for the schedule.
* We will go as a group to the 2 pm Boat tour but of course if you'd prefer to either just
meet us for lunch or for the tour, that is fine as well. Please indicate on your RSVP.
* I will be looking to enjoy the scenic Main Street that includes some antique shops and architecture from the mid 1800's - early 1900's.
* Yes, there is a bathroom on the boat.
* The tour guide has advised that you are able to bring snacks and that they have "soda, water, ice tea, etc., on board". No confirmation if these are complimentary or for purchase. BYOB is also allowed with plastic cups.
* Please review the FAQs for this tour at the following link:
For more information on this tour:
MTA LIRR Site
Hope to see you there!