Hoboken Vegan (& Vegetarian) Message Board › Endings & Beginnings RoundUP (Rynn, Ayinde & BK Vegan Drinks)

Endings & Beginnings RoundUP (Rynn, Ayinde & BK Vegan Drinks)

A former member
Post #: 990
Hi Herbivores.

I hope this note finds you well and your 2014 off to a healthy, happy start.

Generally prefer to hear the bad news first as the good news cushions the blow/s for me. So let us begin there.

After nearly a dozen years, world-renowned Foodswings is in indeed closing in the next week or so. Maybe you want to join Doug & I for a final meal there and this month's dinner Monday.

Also ­Viva on 2nd Avenue has suddenly vacated its space. Stay tuned and hopeful for its reincarnation into the summer somewhere.

And I tearfully share with you all community pioneer, indie publisher & vegan historian Rynn Berry has passed away. Rynn wrote, research and published the annual Vegan Guide to New York City that you likely have seen around town before.

Let me rebound here, or try to, noting a meandering list of new:
Shop-Up darling Cake Thieves is repeating their Brunch PopUP this Sunday 19th 10 to 3 at Elsewhere Espresso (in the East Village)

Which reminds me Ayinde's Waffles PopUPs and him being on the Left Coast now raising money for his first Mac & Yease Truck.

You may also want to ­know about Bunna Cafe's fundraiser for their vegan Ethiopian eatery's permanent Brooklyn space.

No opening date yet for Seasoned Vegan up in Harlem; I am stalking their Facebook page though, so will let you all know. Guessing EatUP will go into Spring when they're fully up and running.

Because these two not yet opened spots were the February Lunch Bunch's Plan B & A, respectively, shifting gears to now make this a birthday brunch potluck featuring Chik'n & Waffles at my Astoria apartment.

I'm purposely moving slow here (while it's an option), so ­our Chinese New Year dinner at Buddha Bodai will be a bit after the Wood Horse has arrived (and the Super Bowl crowd has cleared town).

Speaking of bowls, enjoyed checking out the new veg spot ­Bombay Sandwich Co since the last RoundUP. Eager to go back to taste and sip more. They do have some indoor seating and lots of outdoor seating, so look for a mid-year EatUP there. (Also tickled they had a write up in the Wall Street Journal!)

Honey La Bronx shared that select Maoz NYC locations now offer - wait for it! - vegan shawarma. It's confirmed to be at 71st and Broadway as well as 43rd & 8th.

And speaking of Midtown, Susan (and Food52) noted ­Little Beet has some tasty vegan options.

And way further south, ­Sun in Bloom's second door is open at 165 Church Street (TriBeCa, right?).

The new Whole Foods Brooklyn is also open in the Gowanus area. Have you been? Did you love or like it? Lemme now.

Also ­Vegan Secret Supper has escaped the tundra of Montreal. They'll offer a supper Sunday 1/26 in Brooklyn for those interested. (I've yet to go, and may do so as an early birthday treat...)

Speaking of Brooklyn (BK), please notice NYC now has both the pioneering Vegan Drinks Manhattan as well as the brand new BK Vegan Drinks. The latter is second Thursdays over at The V-Spot – which has its FULL liquor license.

Finally, cheers to our new animal-friendly Mayor Bill de Blasio and Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito. Livestreaming the Mayor's inauguration was quite the history and networking lesson review!

Peace to all beings.
Demetrius

p.s. I found a new roommate last month (Yea!) along with a BIG rent increase (grumble, grumble)! So much more interested in moving to a new place come Spring or Summer. Your leads, referrals, etc. are appreciated :) Email is always best for me, then it's recorded and easier to retrieve (laughter).