Hoboken Vegan (& Vegetarian) Message Board › Longtime RoundUP

Longtime RoundUP

A former member
Post #: 1,039
Hi herbivores.

Since I last wrote a RoundUP, have been lucky to enjoy a good many adventures in the area. Plus heard about some new discoveries that are exciting too.

While visiting a college buddy's new Brooklyn bachelor pad, I finally returned to Vegetarian Palate – though it has relocated! Nevertheless, it’s still very tasty and inexpensive. (And a veg spot that could be great in and for Astoria.)
Speaking of Astoria, I tasted and enjoyed the vegan option at Astoria’s new Bao Shoppe; thanks to Mister Sister for the tip on that. Be sure to get BAO's house-made spicy tofu - it's quite quite nice.

And just this week discovered Tufino Pizzeria has a vegan menu, including a terrific vegan cheese and sausage pizza!!
(I’m trusting you all to Google for addresses as desired/needed. My roommate's houseguest is more chatty than I am (!!!!!), so linking all this stuff could take days.)

Happy to say I stepped out of town to see New Paltz, a small, lively college town with some beautiful views of the mountains. Plus vegan eats at Karma Road, Rock Da Pasta, Suruchi, and the truly exquisite Lagusta’s Luscious. Her cocoa and chocolates felt a bit like living in that ‘90s movie Chocolat. Affirming greatly my belief food can be seductive, sex, and honestly Oh My G O D! regardless of your belief in one, some or none!

I hope to spend a bit of time soon crafting some vegan eating lists for nearby day trips. Seems like NJ and CT have many more options these days - some of that just being new, some of it being better shared information. And also for NYC proper as family and friends come to visit us and could use a great vegan food crawl in their travels, lives.

Please know

Flatbush/Ditmas Park has a new vegan spot in Hartwell Vegetarian (Caribbean). On a first pass, very happy with how the veggie meats are tender and cooked. Would like the flavor turned UP.

V-Life has opened where Loving Hut Manhattan was on 7th Avenue at 30th. Thanks Doug!

Thanks to Ariela for sharing Jennifer’s Way is a gluten-free, nearly all vegan bakery over in the East Village

The vegan-leaning California chain Lyfe Kitchen comes to 55th between 8th and Broadway this year yet

Chipotle's quite tasty and hot spiced sofritas are here in NYC area stores. They continue to roll them out nationally so EVERY location serves them!

A bit stunned to see that Liquiteria will open a big, new location at 13th St and 4th Avenue (off Union Square)

Excited to share that our fellow member Tod published a vegan comic here, A Piggy's Tale - A Superhero Dog in an All-Ages Comic Book! This first issue is available online and in select stores around the world!

Speaking of that comic, want to let you all know that I’m happy to advise on crowdfunding campaigns. Related, I now compile and distribute a periodic roundup of VEGAN projects I hear about[/url] on Vegucated’s blog; the newest one includes a campaign from one of you!

I'm working on a great many things including Vegucated, Vegan Mashup, and now, a vegan small businesses conference (slated for October 2015 here in NYC).

Thanks Carmella for spotting Gardein’s NEW golden fishless filet, meatloaf and chipotle black bean burger (on sale at Fairway, at least some locations). Now to get some in my fridge, and hands, otherwise. Appreciate hearing ANYWHERE you all might find the fishless filets in the boroughs. (Can't want to see which flavors of Veganaise go great with the fishless.)

Finally, please know about this vegan Memorial Day picnic on Monday in Central Park. It is only posted on Facebook.

OK that’s good & plenty to chew on for now.

Enjoy this LONG weekend! And start making ready to S U M M E R.
Demetrius