Mike
user 14075348
Ringwood, NJ
Post #: 10
Unless you have a fully stocked, fortified, easily defendable structure to bug out to within a reasonable distance to your current position, you're in for a world of hurt. If you really think you are going to grab your BOB and relocate on foot to the mountains and live off the land, you're fooling yourself and ignoring reality.
What kind of training do you have? Have you ever tried doing this before? Have you ever spent extended periods of time exposed to the elements.....negative 0 degree temperatures in the winter or 100+ degrees in the summer? How about getting rained on for days on end and all of your clothes and gear are soaked. What are you going to do? Start a fire with your soggy matches? Where is your food coming from after your three day supply of MRE's run out. Are you suddenly going to discover your hunter/gatherer primitive skills? The answer is no. You will get hypothermia and possibly die or starve or eat the wrong thing and die horribly.
How about defense/offense? Is making a spear realy going to help you when the other guy has a firearm? Is digging a pitfall really going to work or just expend valuable callories from your diet? What do you have to defend yourself? Do you know how to competantly use what you have? How much ammo do you have? Can you even carry a reasonable amount of ammo with your food storage, medical gear, cold weather clothing and portable shelter?
Do you really believe your bug out buddies are going to abandon everything they have to come and find you? They won't. The only person you can truly count on is yourself in a bug out situation.
Would you consider bugging out if you have a family with small children? I hope not for your kid's sake. At times when you need extreme noise discipline, your young children will be unable to comply.
Even if I lived in NYC instead of a subburb, I believe bugging out might turn out to be a death sentence. NYC will be a lost cause with the ammount to people inside it. They will quickly turn on themselves as regular public utilities shut down (electricity will shut off first plunging us into darkeness, which will in turn shut down the pumps that create water pressure eliminating drinking water, cooking water and sanitation).
Did you even bother to think about the hundred's of thousands of folks that think they will also bug out to the country? You will be in competition with them. I guarantee they will not be planning on banding together as opposed to what you think.

A former member
Post #: 110
Curious to know what you think would prompt this massive destruction of all infrastructure and government. An asteroid? Eruption of a massive volcano? I don't think these things would shut off the electricity supply; they would kill people and destroy agriculture though.

I live in Manhattan and actually, I see a lot go to waste here. It's fairly easy to collect rainwater on the roof. I believe there are kits to turn seawater into fresh water. The parks are full of edible plants, endless squirrels and pigeons. Pooping might be a bit of a problem; presumbably the survivors would dump it in the parks. I'm not worried about my neighbors turning on me. In the unlikely event of some grand disaster, I would like to learn more trapping and shooting skills, and how to turn seawater into freshwater. However, I am staying put. In numbers there is strength and I would rather have a group of people learning how to stick it out together than, as you say, trying to fend for myself in a wilderness, without shelter.
Mike
user 14075348
Ringwood, NJ
Post #: 14
Curious to know what you think would prompt this massive destruction of all infrastructure and government. An asteroid? Eruption of a massive volcano? I don't think these things would shut off the electricity supply; they would kill people and destroy agriculture though.

I live in Manhattan and actually, I see a lot go to waste here. It's fairly easy to collect rainwater on the roof. I believe there are kits to turn seawater into fresh water. The parks are full of edible plants, endless squirrels and pigeons. Pooping might be a bit of a problem; presumbably the survivors would dump it in the parks. I'm not worried about my neighbors turning on me. In the unlikely event of some grand disaster, I would like to learn more trapping and shooting skills, and how to turn seawater into freshwater. However, I am staying put. In numbers there is strength and I would rather have a group of people learning how to stick it out together than, as you say, trying to fend for myself in a wilderness, without shelter.

First, let me say that I never intended to criticize anyone's plans for survival. I only wished to express my thoughts based on my own experiences of living in both large metropolitan area and less populated country areas. Through my extensive training and experiences in both my military and law enforcement careers I have witnessed and taken part in many things that most people will never witness or experience. I have seen the results of what the most depraved and degenerate human beings are capable of. Most of these horrible acts were committed in a day and age and country where there is no widespread famine, pandemic, economic collapse, emp attack, nuclear attack, or civil unrest. I'm talking about in the USA. If there are so many people here who currently would be willing to perpetrate such horrible crimes with so many opportunities available, it stands to reason that number would be greatly multiplied under the severe stress of one of those disasters I've already mentioned or any number of other disaster that could occur.
Second, I give you a lot of credit for even thinking about preparedness. By even contemplating it and formulating a plan, you are probably ahead of at least 95% of the population. Kudos to you!
I have no doubt surviving in an urban environment can be accomplished if you have enough supplies, training, preparation and a large enough support group to keep the hordes of zombies at bay that will certainly band together as opportunists to rape, rob, pillage and scavenge.
But to me, there are too many variables to that equation. You can definitely collect water on a rooftop but unless you have an extensive water catching basin system in place, you may fall short on your efforts to collect enough water for cooking, cleaning and drinking for all of the people in your large group that will be needed for the security of your building.
As far as human waste goes, the toilets may not work as the pumps that give you water pressure to your faucets, toilets, hot water heaters, and hot water baseboards may no longer be running. This could easily lead to widespread disease - cholera, dysentery, hepatitis.......all life enders in a worse case scenario where hospitals are either not open or too overwhelmed to cope with normally curable cases.
I am an avid hunter and have enjoyed trapping all kinds of small game over the years but hunting and trapping are not in my main survival plan. They are a skill I have that may prove useful sometime in the future but there are millions of others who have hunting and trapping skills as well. There are also plenty of people who will grab the rifle or handgun they hardly know how to use and attempt to hunt an animal to eat. Enough will be successful to wipe out all four legged mammals within the five boroughs to include Manhattan - maybe even the rats! With the millions of people who inhabit metropolitan areas, there is no endless supply of animal protein to be hunted or trapped.
I honestly can't say I am preparing for any one particular disaster. I can only say that any one of the disasters that I mentioned earlier along with the ones you mentioned (asteroid strike and massive volcano eruption) would cause severe civil unrest which would pose a great problem for most law abiding Americans. Perhaps I am only following the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared".
Whatever you decide to prepare for, continue what you're doing. Ask questions. Seek knowledge. Form survival groups. Learn skills. Turn it into a hobby and maybe eventually a lifestyle. If whatever you prepare for doesn't occur...great! But what if it does? Are you willing to bet your life or the lives of your loved ones on it? Be prepared.