addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 71
I don't mean to come down on anyone, but survivalist talk always seems somewhat short-sighted to me. I specifically do not have a problem with those people who seek to expand their skill set. I myself have done this all my life. I have a moderate knowledge of edible (as well as poisonous) plants. I have a variety of skills. I've given some thought to surviving in the wilderness, and have read Bradford Angier's and Euell Gibbons's books.

However, people often forget that our entire society is centered around survival -- for all of us. Granted, these efforts are often somewhat uncoordinated and inefficient, but they're there! We have food trucked into cities. We have water piped in. We have a nationwide power grid. We have extensive telecommunications. Yes, these "utilities" can and do fail from time to time, and people suffer as a result, but those in charge of maintaining them really do take seriously their maintenance.

There ARE exceptions. A maxim I spout is, "Anything that goes wrong is the fault of management." And it is. At best the "fault" is merely the balancing of resources. E.g., when an ice storm brings down multitudes of power lines, you mobilize the manpower you can and prioritize trunk lines over lines to individual houses. This discommodes those in those houses, but makes sense. Where management screws up, sometimes, is not to bring in enough workers (often from distant states) to make reasonable progress. To some degree, the cost must be considered in making these decisions, but when management sells out to its shareholders and sacrifices its customers (literally, in some cases), there should be no excuses accepted.

Every a screw-up in restoration of services occurs, we "learn" from it. The problem I see is that our system of politics and management doesn't always lead to permanent solutions. I don't have a simple answer for this, but your involvement can help.

In the early 1980's, the Garden State Parkway was shut down by a couple inches (NOT feet) of snowfall. Cars were abandoned on the roadway because they became stuck. (Fortunately, a person can walk through snow a car can't drive through.) Snow plows couldn't get through due to the cars, and some cars ended up being mangled when hit by snow plows that couldn't distinguish them from drifts. (I have friends who have, in the past, driven snow plows. These guys sometimes work for 40 hours straight or with only a couple hours sleep. It's no wonder cars get mangled sometimes.)

Since then, I've noticed, the several governors have been very quick to ban driving except for emergencies when snow conditions prevailed. This worked very well. In fact, had Governor Christie done the same on Christmas, 2010, the mess on the highways caused by that historic snowstorm would largely have been avoided. (He was in FL and the holder of our newly created office, Lt. Gov., who was SUPPOSED to be on the job when the gov. was not, was in AZ or some such place!)

Okay, I'm rambling. My point is that survival is not so much an individual concern as a societal concern. If every person in NYC is "on his own", most will die. But if they pull together, most will survive. I think we all know this, but it takes some time to overcome our reluctance to step in and help. (Better "good Samaritan" laws would help. If I break into your home to save your ass from a fire, that shouldn't be "breaking and entering," but under existing laws it may be.)
Paul W.
user 7865287
Belleville, NJ
Post #: 8
Good points Bruce! Keeping a global / societal focus can really have the most benefits, even for the individuals. Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 1
common sense,,,nice to see more have it! nice post