addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Houston Area Trails & More Message Board › Hiking with kids?

Hiking with kids?

A former member
Post #: 1
I signed up for this meet up group more than a month ago and have not gone for a single one - my first ever hike - but I am really interested. How does it work if we have a 3 yr old kid? Do others bring kids too?

Looking forward to others response to plan :)
Tracey
Tracey77478
Austin, TX
Post #: 34
Welcome to the hiking group, Madhulika! Parents sometimes bring children of all ages.

If children get tired early or are not able to complete the entire hike (typically ~10 miles), the parents may turn back early, take a break and wait at a spot where the group will return to again (if the planned hiking path allows), carry their child on their shoulders, or find a shortcut back to the parking area (if the planned hiking path allows). Hope this helps.
A former member
Post #: 1
I plan on attending a few hikes with little ones. I'll have a 3 year old and a 9 month old (who will be in a back pack carrier). Turning back a little early sounds like a good plan. Since this will be my 3-year-old's first hike, I'm wondering how far she could go until she would want to be carried....