Houston Area Trails & More Message Board › Camping without Campfires

Camping without Campfires

This message board is read-only.

Tracey
Tracey77478
Austin, TX
Post #: 41
Does anyone here like to go camping but not start campfires?
A former member
Post #: 1
Does anyone here like to go camping but not start campfires?
me...as in not having to cook?

Hugo
HugoWalker
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 26
Why so down on campfires?
Tracey
Tracey77478
Austin, TX
Post #: 42
They are a lot of work to prepare, start, and maintain.
Scott M.
user 55049772
Houston, TX
My wife suffers from asthma so we don't have fires when camping. Also, when wilderness camping, I feel more comfortable about NOT having a fire from fire prevention and leave-no-trace standpoints.
Mary
user 4860345
Bay City, TX
Post #: 8
I used to backpack more than car camp; and because of the exhaustion and the lack of comfortable places to sit, we just didn't make fires. When we did car camp, the habit of not making fires just kind of carried over. We would go out out to eat instead. However, now that we're car camping more, that will probably change.
PattyC
coachpatty
Red Oak, TX
Post #: 526
I only make a campfire occasionally. I either use a camp stove or grill for cooking.
Mayra
user 12741339
Katy, TX
Post #: 2
When I first started camping they had a no camp fire due to drought conditions so I had never gotten into the habit. I need to try next time since most fire bans have been lifted. I have always used propane grill to cook as well.
scott f.
user 62516712
Houston, TX
Yeah Tracey I know what you mean and I'm fine without always having a camp fire. It's easier to cook on a stove and skip the fire anyway. And during the texas summer heat a fire seems pretty ridiculous. In really cold weather a fire can help, and I think smores are a bit better on a campfire. These are exceptions, overall I can do fine without.
Tracey
Tracey77478
Austin, TX
Post #: 43
Thanks for your replies. During the Lake Somerville weekend, I actually enjoyed camping and found it relaxing. Then I thought I could go camping alone sometimes, yet building a campfire for one person seemed excessive.