Houston Area Trails & More Message Board › Brown Recluse Info:

Brown Recluse Info:

This message board is read-only.

Jennifer B.
JennOutdoors
Sugar Land, TX
Post #: 32
One of our members (anonymous) called me a couple of days after our camping trip to tell me he was concerned about a bite he sustained during the camp. He was concerned it could be a brown recluse bite. After describing his symptoms, I was concerned too and told him to see a doctor immediately. He went to the doctor the next day, and the doctor confirmed he had been bitten.

I thought this would be a good time to discuss the reality that there are naughty critters in Texas. This isn't a reason for alarm, but it is a reason to be educated on the wildlife around us. Here's a crash course on the brown recluse. They are yellowish brown to dark brown, and including their long legs, they are about the size of a quarter. They have a dark brown fiddle-shaped marking on their back.

These spiders are not aggressive. They usually bite when pressed against the skin...like in a sleeping bag. To lower your chances of getting any creepy crawlies in your tent with you, always keep your tent zipped up, and don't leave your sleeping bag etc. laying on the open ground. Many times, you won't feel the bite, but sometimes there will be a burning somewhat like a fire ant bite or bee sting. The symptoms come on slowly...sometimes itching, joint pain, nausea, fever, chills, a blister at the bite site. As soon as you notice symptoms, raise the bite above your heart level, clean it gently without opening it up, apply antibiotic ointment, put a cold press on it, and get to a doctor.

NEVER scratch or open the bite. Usually brown recluse bites are fairly benign and don't cause damage. Some people are bitten and never even know it. Many times, it is secondary infection from allowing the bite to open up that causes the most damage. The key is to get treatment immediately. If you wait until the blister worsens and pops, you could be in a world of hurt.

The individual in our group did exactly the right thing...he took note of the symptoms, kept the bite clean, consulted help, and went to the doctor...he is fine by the way. The more you know, the happier and more confident you'll be in your time outdoors. I hope this FYI helps.
Mary
user 4860345
Bay City, TX
Post #: 13
Wow! Thanks for the info.