The RE/MAX Ballunar Liftoff Festival is a public annual event held at NASA/Johnson Space Center in Clear Lake TX. This year’s festival starts Friday September 28th at 6:00 PM and lasts until Sunday September 30th at noon.
This truly is a one-of-a-kind tribute to human flight. Hot air balloon events include:
· Two Mass Ascensions where the skies are filled with 50+ balloons;
· Two evening Balloon Glows where inflated tethered balloons are lit using the gas flame burners;
· Hare and Hound Chases where several “hound” balloons chase one “hare” balloon testing navigational skills;
· The Shuttle Rendezvous where balloon crews try to place a hula hoop over a small weather balloon;
· Target drops where balloon pilots throw bean bags are thrown from the air to win prizes and bragging rights.
Exhibition sky diving events are scheduled with an early morning jump that usually involves lights and smoke. NASA’s open house is Saturday from 9 to 5 with astronaut autographs from 11 to 3. There’s music all day long and many other cool events on schedule.
The full event description and schedule is online at http://www.ballunarfestival.com. Admission is $10 per car load which includes parking at NASA/Johnson Space Center. Best advise - plan on being early!!! This is a popular event and parking takes time.
This is a public event and will not be hosted by HPN. The intent of this posting is to advise all members of this one of a kind event, a fabulous opportunity for great shots. If you'd like to meet up with other members please feel free to sign up and add comments advising your plans and how other members may contact you.
Photography tips for hot air balloons images can be found online at several sites. Here’s just a few: