Houston Super Secret Science Club Message Board › Houston Science Calendar

Houston Science Calendar

Paul H.
PaulHavlak
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
Science lovers, you should have been at TX/RX Labs (a.k.a. Houston Hackerspace) on Friday. It wasn't a sensory extravaganza for ADD types (not making fun, I lean that way myself sometimes), but still very cool to see all the machine tools, 3D printers, the compute cluster, and the oh-so-hopeful-but-nascent synthetic biology lab, all there to enable DIY creativity.

I also got to meet Ahmed and Steve, and we hatched a few plans to get more things happening. One part of my share of the plan is to revitalize a site of my own:

Houston Science Calendar (blog, calendar)

The goal of Houston Science Calendar is to aggregate science events, with commentary, for greater visibility. Of course, I underestimated what a chore it is to scan through the many interesting events sponsored at universities, museums, etc. every month.

What I need now are volunteers to manually add calendar items for the big organizations with too many events that may not be suitable for the public (universities) or that aren't all science-oriented (convention and visitor's bureau).

There will also be a team to automatically parse some of the smaller, more focused calendars and PR e-mails (e.g., Audubon Society).

You're here, so you know science is both important and a great common bond for interesting people. If you're willing to act on that, drop me a line via havlak@gmail.com

Followups on this site (or anywhere else with discussion groups and RSVP support) will be to organize actual outings to more lectures and other events, with added social time at a pub or restaurant nearby.

More power to you all,
Paul
Ahmed
user 4494902
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
Thanks for posting Paul, it was great to meet you guys.. thanks for the calendar link, Ill get on it and be in touch with you guys!

Ahmed