Houston Ruby Brigade Message Board › Poll: Do developers go beyond their jobs?

Poll: Do developers go beyond their jobs?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all,

For an article I'm writing (for Brazen Careerist/Business Insider), I'd like to ask:

Do you do the ninja thing (pardon the gawdawful expression smile) ?

How common is it really to:

• commit open-source code
  • rack up StackOverflow karma
  • continually learn new technologies
    ... or do people just "do their jobs"?

I'm guessing that a small proportion of active bloggers gives us an exaggerated sense of these things.

I put together a quick three-question poll. I made it to be fun to answer, and when you do it, you can see where you stand.

Regards,

Josh

Writer: Business Insider/Brazen Careerist
Founder, FiveYearItch.com
Sammy L.
codeodor
Richmond, TX
Post #: 6
Unfortunately, I think the sorts of people who go to user group meetings are likely to be closer in action to "active bloggers" than people who "just 'do their jobs'" but it's still interesting to me, so I filled it out. =)
A former member
Post #: 3
... he sorts of people who go to user group meetings are likely to be closer in action to "active bloggers" than people who "just 'do their jobs'" but it's still interesting to me, so I filled it out. =)
Good point, Sammy. There are a lot of "invisible" developers. The question I'm looking into is: What fraction give themselves that visibility? I'll post to my blog once I get some useful data.