Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › Roundtable Discussion Group

Roundtable Discussion Group

Sam O.
user 7883048
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
For those of you not at the July Skeptics in the Pub meetup, the group expressed interest in starting a periodic roundtable discussion group.

The meetings for these roundtable discussions would entail the discussion leader (who would be a different volunteer each meeting) selecting a specific topic for the discussion. The attendees would have a chance to research the subject, consult experts, develop arguments, etc. prior to arrival. And the discussion would focus solely on the selected topic.

If there is enough interest (we thought a dozen to 15 people would be a good initial number), we can start looking at locations for the roundtable, and start hammering out all the logistics.

So let's use this thread to get a feel for how many of you would like to participate, and to brainstorm on just when, where, and how we can make these roundtable discussions fun, interesting, and informative.

Edited to add: I'm asking my friend, Kelly, who organizes the St. Louis Skeptical Salon (the roundtable discussion group for the St. Louis skeptics) to pop into this thread with hints and suggestions. Her group has been successful, and we can possibly make things go more smoothly by getting advice from someone who has been there before.
Sergio
PopeMolestusXXX
Houston, TX
Post #: 117
I love love LOVE this idea.

Perhaps we could see the potential hosts' ideas and vote on which we want to discuss that month.
A former member
Post #: 8
I think this could be a good experience and time well spent depending on the time and location of the meetings.
Ariel
user 2651833
Houston, TX
Post #: 47
My eternal plea, up front.
PLEASE do not set these up at time(s) that will conflict with known, existing meeting times for other groups such as Humanists, Atheists, Freethinkers. Thanks!
Earl
user 9517501
Houston, TX
This definitely seems like a good idea to me.
Robert T. G.
grossrobert
Houston, TX
Post #: 4

Sam Ogden has written:
"If there is enough interest (we thought a dozen to 15 people would be a good initial number), we can start looking at locations for the roundtable, and start hammering out all the logistics."

My comment: Sounds good to me. Bear in mind that we should avoid long arguments by some who might disagree with some thesis presented. Know when an argument has reached an impasse and move on to other questions.

I also second the idea of Ariel Thomann who suggested that we should try to schedule these events to not conflict with other meetings.

Bob Gross

A former member
Post #: 10
I think this is a great idea. . .

might as well start the discussion about days: since Skeptics in the Pub is 4th Tuesdays, what about 2nd Thursdays. . .
Bry
user 12587892
Houston, TX
Very good idea. I'm up for it.
A former member
Post #: 67
I like this. How about some sample topics? Would it be open to perhaps podcasting?
Jay
user 2766475
Houston, TX
Post #: 7
Yes...would definitely like to see the discussion topics. One thing though... the people who are drawn to the skeptics group are usually highly intellectual and so it draws a certain crowd. If we have topics that are more about relationships, fashion and everyday living topics it will have a broader appeal. my $ .02.