Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › Skeptics radio program

Skeptics radio program

Steve
Steve_B
Houston, TX
Post #: 4
The question has been raised as to whether or not HSS can produce or sponsor a 1 hour weekly program on a public radio station.

KPFT's Open Journal is the obvious way to try this. It airs at 9:30 - 9:56 AM, Mon - Fri. Details can be found at http://kpft.org/forms...­. The producer must be a KPFT member. I have been a member for years if it comes to that.

"Any host/producer, organization, topic and/or campaign may produce no more than three times per year. Open Journal is not intended as a monthly slot, and monthly Open Journals are only granted at the discretion of the Program Director."
Noe De La G.
user 11829117
Conroe, TX
Post #: 3
I think GHSS can sponsor a weekly program. What does it take as far as man hours involved and money? Does some need special training in radio for this?
A former member
Post #: 3,190
Another option for a very low cost would be to start a podcast.
Eric
user 40438282
Houston, TX
Post #: 2
I am interested in seeing this project through to completion. When do we begin?
Julie E.
JulieEbersole
Houston, TX
Post #: 25
Maintaining quality content week after week is indeed a commitment. I've often wondered if some existing podcasters would consent to having short segments of their podcasts played for free on a community station like KPFT.

My understanding of the best way to get on the air at KPFT is to associate yourself with an existing show -- an apprenticeship, as it were. Of course there is a formal process to request a new show, but openings in the 24/7 schedule come up irregularly, and it helps if you've shown yourself to be reliable and involved at the station.