addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › Next meet-up - Drinking Skeptically in the Pub

Next meet-up - Drinking Skeptically in the Pub

Closed to new replies

Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
As we discussed in our late August meeting, we thought it would be a good idea to find a venue where a large group can sit, talk, have a beer, and socialize. I would like to organize something like that for a September meeting. I realize that we can't make a day that's good for all people, and that any chosen location will be inconvenient for some, and practically next door for others, but it would be good to find at least a couple places that will work for us.

If you have any places that you know would be good, let's discuss. Weekends seem to be the preferred time, but we should plan on having some weeknight meets as well.

Thanks!!

N

A former member
Post #: 1
At some point I think it would be a good idea to schedule an outing at Magic Island. Unfortunately, it is a tad pricy, though coupons are available and I'm sure we could get a group rate. They have private rooms and a full bar as well as the show rooms.
A former member
Post #: 2
Are we shooting for a particular area in Houston (Downtown, Midtown, Memorial, Heights, etc.)? I help organize events for my company, but most of the spots are closer to downtown. Just let me know if you want the names and numbers.
A former member
Post #: 1
Rudyard's Pub is a great place with a large open upstairs area. http://rudyards.s425....­
Although other groups use the space from time to time and they have live music performances too, it would be a good idea to schedule something with the management. most late afternoons to early evenings before nine should rarely be a problem. But that's my suggestion.
the beer is cheap, the food it great, and the atmosphere is perfect for meeting and discussing.
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 8
That sounds a good plae, I will check it out!
Mike O.
user 7892622
Crosby, TX
Post #: 3
Anyone familiar with Cecil's on West Gray? Not huge, but they have an outdoor deck that's nice. It's a fave hangout for a few geeks I know. And it's right across the street from Bibas, if you like Greek. I hope you're still planning on meetings at other types of venue. I don't drink and quite honestly feel uncomfortable around people who are drinking. But having said that, I would probably show up anyway just to spite myself. I hate me when I do that.
Steinhenge
user 7893307
Houston, TX
Post #: 3
Both Cecil's and Rud's would be good. I've played at Rud's a bunch of times over the years and I find it to be an exceptionally comfortable place, especially now that it's not smoke-filled.
Lyle S.
lets_roll
Houston, TX
Post #: 223
good 4 me when the lift is working!

But the other venues mentioned recently (besides the RichArms Pub..my least fav) sound more enticing.
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 10
I picked Richmond Arms primarily because I've been in it before, and they have a back room that we could reserve.

Any place with live music might be too noisy, and I don't think they will let us reserve a large area on their busiest night. I liked the space at the Ragin Cajun, but with the loudspeakers from the kitchen announcing 'order ready' every five minutes, it was a bit noisy for conversation.

I'm open for continued suggestions for good venues. We had 23 people show up at the first meeting, so we need to keep that number in mind.