Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › Dr. Francis Collins to Speak at Rice University

Dr. Francis Collins to Speak at Rice University

Closed to new replies

Horatio
user 8225940
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
Dr. Francis Collins, former director of the Human Genome Project, will be speaking at Rice University Wednesday, Jan. 21, at 7:30 p.m. Dr. Collins' lecture is presented through The Veritas Forum at Rice and will be held in the Shell Auditorium in the Jones School at Rice University. Dr. Collins is the author of The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief and will be speaking on the topic of Christianity and science. Additional information may be found at Rice.
Mark
user 8485789
Houston, TX
I remember reading something by Collins about his faith. It was borderline insane.
This guy is a geneticist and he believes in the talking snake. There's some serious compartmentalization happening in his head.
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 23
He considers himself a theistic evolutionist and strongly rejects creationism and ID. He has not claimed to be a biblical literalist.
A former member
I have mixed feelings about Dr Collins.

Admittedly, he's a lot better than most theists. But this is still someone who thought that "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis was an intelligent, convincing book. He believes that the human instinct of right and wrong was designed and built by god and that it could not have evolved because (he says that) evolution operates only on individuals and not on the species. He also says that this moral law is a universal among humans and that (other) animals do not have it. I doubt all of these points. Also (as Sam Harris might say) even if the moral law were a human universal so is the addictiveness of cigarettes.

It's more reasonable to think that religion evolved to exploit certain human weaknesses than to think that humans evolved toward some religious goal. How did Dr Collins miss that?

He also appealed to the Big Bang and Cosmological Design as evidence of divine creation (unavoidably an argument from ignorance) while reminding us that these are Deist arguments and that the Deist God is not a personal one. He's also explicitly rejected a literal interpretation of the bible (while keeping the virgin birth and resurrection).

He's got a lot of good, but every time I try to like him I remember... Dr Collins thought C.S. Lewis was brilliant. I can't get my head around that.
Lyle S.
lets_roll
Houston, TX
Post #: 265
I WAS thinking about going to hear him tonight...but now, maybe not. Thanks for the reviews. I am curious as to what he would claim is evidence tho just out of curiosity mostly. Is anyone going from here? I would prbly prefer a talk on his accomplishments regarding the human genome project more ...but who knows.
A former member
Post #: 10
I read Mere Christianity during my on the fence days and found it painful, overly wordy, and thoroughly unhelpful.
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 24
I have heard Dr. Collins speak on podcasts. Eugenie Scott and Barbara Forrest quote him in their works on the ID movement.

I'm wondering if anyone got to go to this? I took a client out last night (who has gone to most of the group meetings except the most recent one), and we didn't finish up until after 10 p.m., so there was no chance to see this.