addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › Freethinkers too dogmatic?

Freethinkers too dogmatic?

Closed to new replies

user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 44
I recently joined another meetup group with the promising title "Freethinkers". A group that formed only this July, for the first meeting (which apparently was attended only by the organizer), he wished to get a group to protest any teaching of Bible classes in school districts in this area, where it is studied as literature or as a cultural/historical book.

I posted a comment that I don't have a problem with teaching this book, but that many of the textbooks available for school districts to use in this course are written by and promote it as a religious book that accurately foretells (in Revelations) current events, and so on. I linked to the current podcast from Reasonable Doubt which discussed the textbooks and the authors and indicated a need for a religion-free textbook for these courses.

Within a few hours, I was removed by the organizer from this group, my comment deleted, and a banner telling me I was banned from joining the group. I find it ironic since in the charter it says "There is quite a bit of freedom for your individual expression, examples, and the personal tribulations you have been exposed to or have observed"

My emails to the organizer requesting a reason for being kicked out has not been acknowledged.