Howard County Photographers Message Board › Weekly Photo Challenge/Competition

Weekly Photo Challenge/Competition

Salman Jason S.
PhotoNewbie
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 218
Greetings,

From your newest semi-moderator!...

Yes, my name is Salman. and I was just "promoted" to an asst moderator for the group. And here is the reason.

We know within the 201 members (as of today) we have much talent and it quite comes out in the monthly photo assignments. So we wanted to kinda put it in high gear. Here is the plan: We are going to post a new topic of the week each Monday. Members are asked to post one or two photos during the week and all members can see, comment, ask questions and find out more about the photo. I am not sure how many of you take part in that sorta thing among other groups. The advantage here is that you would know the members and can see them in person at the monthly meeting.

I will pick the first topic and post a message under "October 2013 Weekly Topic" and add a new posting each Monday. (BTW, its Halloween - see the other post!)

So basically the idea is a weekly posting and available online only as described above. Here is the further perks to it:

-- Starting from the second topic, has to come from the members. You may respond to this conversation with your suggestions. You can suggest as many topics as you want and I will scatter them in future weeks.
-- (Optional) We can also make it a little competitive: Members can post a comment of "Plus one" to your favorite photos, not on your own obviously. You can vote for more then one photo. And also tell two things: a) What did you like about the photo and b) how or what would you have done different if you had taken it. But I know competition scares people away so we dont want people to not post behind the risk (or pout) that they never win. WE want to see every picture that fits the criteria, what you might think is not good could be awesome to another perspective. So dont be shy. You are behind a computer!

You may email me privately if you have any questions. Also, respond to this thread and make future suggestions. ALL will be acknowledged as a topic in the future no matter how ridiculous, objectionable, weird, rare, common, popular that might be!

The idea behind this is to make 2014 a New Year Resolution for better photography and have others help you learn more and try newer things in your skillset.

Salman Jason S.
PhotoNewbie
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 223
So I am assumng there is no interest in this sorta thing for this group?

SS
Patricia A.
paltner
Columbia, MD
Post #: 5
I'm not sure what happened but I just got your email about the photo challenge today. A weekly challenge sounds very interesting and I would like to see it implemented.
Izzy
IzzyKap
Rockville, MD
Post #: 14
This is the first time that I've also heard about it. I didn't receive any prior notification. I think that it is a a good idea.
Patricia
Snafuavenue
Columbia, MD
Post #: 20
Just received this notification 11/21/2013.....but I would be interested.
Salman Jason S.
PhotoNewbie
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 225
Hmmm thats weird! So I guess just like everywhere, meetup has its glitches too!
So details in the earlier post. I think I will start in Jan. Feel free to make suggestions to this thread and I will add them for each Monday as they come. No topic will be discarded, no matter how obscure, dirty, mature, unique, good or bad it is.... :-)
Joan
user 33019102
Columbia, MD
Post #: 1
Are you doing this? If so, can you tell me where I can find the weekly assignments and details? I would be interested.
Salman Jason S.
PhotoNewbie
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 246
Hi Joan,

There wasnt enough interest from the group so this never got started!

Are you doing this? If so, can you tell me where I can find the weekly assignments and details? I would be interested.