addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Hudson Valley Walk with Donkeys Message Board › First Donkey Walk this week and other info

First Donkey Walk this week and other info

Steve S.
user 99324202
Group Organizer
Ulster Park, NY
Hi All:
I want to open this email to say how happy and surprised I've been with the interest in this group.   When meetup.com was suggested to me, I thought we might get a handful of people and we're currently at 46!    And even more surprising is that people have been making drives of 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours to attend!   What are you people nuts!  Just kidding, I'd be happy to do it myself, it just never occurred to me that there'd be so many others like me.    What I've not been surprised by is that the people who've been attending have been very nice and interesting.      I've found that there is something about donkeys that seems to attract that kind of person.

The only "problem" this unexpected interest creates is that, unlike hors d'oeuvres, I cannot just thaw out a few more donkeys when I get more guests than expected.   So, I do need to limit the number of people attending events and/or limit the expectations that people have for spending one-on-one time with the donkeys.

A couple of quick notes:

• If you want to take part in informal, short walks that I do here during the week, or are just interested in spending more time with the donkeys outside of events for fun or possibly to get involved with the Little Brays of Sunshine program, email me.
  • I will be scheduling more orientation sessions here.... although as time goes by, there will be less need for new member orientation and we can use them to build experience and learn new things.

This Saturday will be our group's first walk and will take place in Beacon, NY on the Klara Sauer Trail.    Beacon is located just off of Rt 84 in the most southern part of Dutchess Country and on the opposite side of the Hudson River from Newburgh.   From the trail head, it is a one mile walk to Demming Point Park.  From there, we can do another one mile loop.  Then, another mile back to return to the start.     It is an easy walk on a flat, crushed stone surface offers scenic views of the Hudson River and birds, etc.  Here's a link to pictures: http://www.traillink....­

A 3 mile walk for a healthy walker would normally only take about 45 minutes.   But, with the donkeys and allowing for stops and breaks, I would anticipate we will be out there at least twice that long-- 90 minutes to two hours.

I've currently set a limit of 20 people and there are three slots left.    If you can no longer attend, please remove yourself from the list to allow others to sign-up.

I will be bringing Romper and Stomper and Flint and Flame.    I do not have a trailer large enough to transport more.   Those who have attended an orientation will be able to lead them and those who have not yet been able to attend one are welcome to walk along.    Given the numbers, of course, we will need to rotate who is leading and who is walking.  But, in my experience, that seems to work out naturally over the course of a walk.

For those signed-up,  on Friday, I'll be sending a more detailed note regarding when and where to meet-up for the walk.

Steve