Hudson Valley Skeptics Message Board › Topics for monthly meetings

Topics for monthly meetings

Dan L.
DanLackaye
Group Organizer
Poughkeepsie, NY
Post #: 33
I'm going to set up a Google Doc for people to sign up for the topic discussions we talked about Saturday. Feel free to volunteer to lead a discussion on any topic to which we can apply critical thinking skills.

For April, Ryan and Arthur will be talking about organic farming, GMOs, etc., and I hope they both will post some reading material for everyone (I'll try to grab the stuff from the Meetup page to crosspost here, and vice versa, for those who aren't on both) so we can all get at least a familiarity with the topic. It's pretty complex, but it's a topic very much in the news these days. I, for one, look forward to hearing both sides as I find myself not quite sure how to think about it all.
Arthur W.
user 124697122
Clinton Corners, NY
Post #: 6
I'm going to set up a Google Doc for people to sign up for the topic discussions we talked about Saturday. Feel free to volunteer to lead a discussion on any topic to which we can apply critical thinking skills.

For April, Ryan and Arthur will be talking about organic farming, GMOs, etc., and I hope they both will post some reading material for everyone (I'll try to grab the stuff from the Meetup page to crosspost here, and vice versa, for those who aren't on both) so we can all get at least a familiarity with the topic. It's pretty complex, but it's a topic very much in the news these days. I, for one, look forward to hearing both sides as I find myself not quite sure how to think about it all.

As I mentioned to Shaun, I'm a very slow writer and reader. I'm working an hour or so a day on a reply to Ryan's kind personal email (as blizzards permit). One aspect of my concern expressed to Ryan is to avoid verbosity on this site while stimulating interest. Maybe that is just because I'm a slow reader.
Dan L.
DanLackaye
Group Organizer
Poughkeepsie, NY
Post #: 34
I look forward to seeing the reply. March is a pretty long month so no worries, and I don't think anyone would want you to rush. In the meantime, if you have any links handy to articles anyone might be interested in on the topic, please feel free to post! If not that's fine too. It sounds like this has gotten off to a good start.
Dan L.
DanLackaye
Group Organizer
Poughkeepsie, NY
Post #: 35
There is a Google Doc now for people to sign up to lead discussions on specific topics each month. I've already put Ryan and Arthur on for April. Feel free to fill in any remaining month with your name and a topic, so long as no one has already chosen that month (repeating topics are fine, but maybe talk to the person who has already suggested said topic to discuss presenting jointly). Feel free to add any columns to the right that you feel are necessary (notes, etc.)

https://docs.google.c...­
Dan L.
DanLackaye
Group Organizer
Poughkeepsie, NY
Post #: 36
This discussion has been moved to May. April is up for grabs!