Human Powered (Bicycle/Kayak/Canoe/Hiking) World Touring Message Board › Announcing a new Meetup this Saturday afternoon to Discuss the Big Island Tr

Announcing a new Meetup this Saturday afternoon to Discuss the Big Island Trip, + Vietnam Bicycling Multimedia Presentation!

A former member
It's been awhile since I had an event for this Meetup. I've been preoccupied with setting up our Taiwan trip, so now it's time to focus on....Hawaii!

Big Island Trip March 10 - 16
The Big Island has an amazingly diverse climate, from dry desert to rainforest to active volcano. If you have seen it by car, it's even better on a bike. And if you have not been there, it's a real treat. Kona is easy to reach from Seattle or LA, no passport required, and they speak English! What's not to like :) Pedal with us and have the same experience as with the commercial tour companies, but for 1/3 the cost. The distances are moderate, so anyone in reasonable shape can make it; aggressive riders have longer options, as well.

Please RSVP, plus more details here

Bicycle Vietnam
Next, to whet your appetite for a bicycle adventure, Bob will deliver a moving slide photo presentation, narrated and enriched with contemporary Vietnamese music. Journey back to Vietnam and see its people, culture, and history from the very old to the very recent, all from the perspective of a group of bicycle travelers from around the world.

When: November 21, 2009 1:30 PM

Where:
Bellevue Regional Library
1111 110th Ave. NE Meeting Room #4 (Room #4 is on the ground floor, between the north entrance doors and the Library internal doors.)
Bellevue, WA 98004
425-214-6016
A former member
Post #: 3
I got a few questions on the trip:

Q: Is it a road or mountain bike trip? A: Road. See the route map for our exact path.

Q: Is this a commercial trip? A: No, noone is taking any fees for running this trip.

Q: Are the dates fixed? A: No, we'll look at air fares to pick the cheapest day to leave, taking into consideration when rooms are available.

Q: Is it van-supported? A: No, that would be quite expensive to hire a driver and vehicle.