Humanities Project Monthly Cultural Presentation & Meeting
We are honored to have a Special Guest:
Paul Espinosa, Award-Winning Filmmaker
Mr. Espinosa will present to us a sampling of his films, such as Taco Shop Poets, Ballad of an Unsung Hero and his current project in development on Chunky, a San Diego musician.
This presentation will highlight humanities, and will be a wonderful complement to Mr. Espinosa's presentation at the Sunday Speaker Meeting on September 22.
Paul Espinosa is an award-winning Filmmaker and Professor in the School of Transborder Studies at Arizona State University. He has been producing films for over 30 years, specializing in documentary and dramatic films focused on the U.S.-Mexico border region. Espinosa has produced, directed and written numerous films for PBS including The U.S.-Mexican War:[masked], ...and the earth did not swallow him, In the Shadow of the Law, California and the American Dream, The Border, The Hunt for Pancho Villa, Los Mineros and The Lemon Grove Incident. He received his B.A. degree from Brown University and his Ph.D. from Stanford University, both in Anthropology. Espinosa's films have been screened at festivals around the world and have won many awards including eight Emmys. In 2010, Espinosa received the Outstanding Latino/a Cultural Award in Fine or Performing Arts from the American Association of Hispanics in Higher Education.
Let's bring extra-good snacks and perhaps some wine! Thanks!
- The HSGP Humanities Project will hold Open Meetings on the 3rd Friday of each month at 7pm at HCC. All are invited to attend. The first part of the meeting is given over to one or more of our HSGP members or guests to share with us some aspect of arts & humanities that they are passionate about! The second part of the meeting is for general business, ie planning of future events. Total meeting time approximately 2 hours.
- The HSGP Humanities Project will present arts & humanities related talks at 1-3 Sunday Speaker meetings in 2013 (An Opera, Operetta, and Musical Theater Extravaganza - Sunday, March 24).
- We will plan and execute at least one fundraiser for HSGP.
- Throughout the year we will plan excursions to various arts & humanities events in and around the Valley for those who wish to participate.
- On occasion we may hold fun artsy events at the HCC.
Hosted by Mike Franklin and your HSGP Humanities Project Committee.