Cleanup efforts will begin at 7:00 AM while it's still cooler and continue through the morning. We will be there early to set up some pop-up canopies/shade tents and get the equipment ready. The picnic tables and BBQ grills are also first-come, first-serve and we will claim a couple of those when we arrive as well so that we can have a bit of a pot-luck/BBQ when we're done working.
This is an excellent project for bringing together the members of our different organizations who may not be familiar with each other, as well as an opportunity to publicly demonstrate that we are caring, hard-working, responsible people who are engaged in our communities. This is an all-ages, family-friendly project, so kids are welcome to participate as long as they are supervised by their parents or guardians. The specifics and scope of the work we’ll be doing will depend on the number of volunteers we get for that day, but our general duties may include:
- Picking up trash and litter
- Raking leaves, pulling weeds, and fluffing playground sand
- Sanitizing playground equipment with soap and water
- Sweeping all hard surfaces (i.e. basketball courts, sidewalks, ramadas, etc.)
- Report any vandalism, dirty restrooms, unsafe conditions and/or necessary repairs
- Special projects that may be assigned by parks and recreation staff (planting trees, bushes, etc.)
The Tempe Parks Department will provide us with trash bags, but volunteers should bring their own gloves, dress work-protectively, and don’t forget to bring sunscreen! The address is:Tempe Beach Park, 80 W. Rio Salado Parkway, Tempe, Arizona 85281, and the parking lot is on the west side of the park where Rio Salado Parkway turns into Ash Ave.
John Lynn is hosting this event. You may contact him at www.arizonacor.org or [masked].