Annual Winter Solstice Celebration
Celebrating Reason, Compassion & Hope
Our Celebration Activities:
- Portraits and funny photos in the small office ($15 each or 2 for $20)
- Astronomy and Stargazing outside throughout the evening
- 5 PM Happy Hour and Marketplace & Tag Sale Shopping
- (1st Door Prize sometime during the 5-6 PM hour)
- 6 PM Potluck Dinner and Welcome / Installation of 2013 Board
- (2nd Door Prize sometime during dinner)
- 7:30 PM Human Light presentation in the Library
- (3rd Door Prize after the presentation)
- Children's Activities throughout the evening
- 8:30 PM Bingo in the Main Hall (cards $5 each--great prizes!)
- 9 PM Dancing and Partying and final Door Prize of the evening
Visit the Tag Sale to help contribute items needed for the Humanist Center
Browse the Marketplace for some great items!
~A portion of our proceeds will benefit the Secular Coalition for Arizona~
No dress code, but festive attire is encouraged!
Our goals for this year's event:
Build community – We’ll provide a festive atmosphere where you can socialize with others who value reason, compassion, and hope.
Increase membership – Folks who haven’t yet joined us can find out about the benefits of becoming a member of our growing community
Raise funds – Our fundraising goal is $10,000. Proceeds will support HSGP programming.
Celebrate – We’ll introduce the HumanLight holiday, and encourage all participants to eat, drink, and be merry! (Visit www.humanlight.org to learn more.)
More than 20 members of the HSGP community are working together to plan this event. Building on last year’s successes, we plan to expand our marketplace and offer more activities. So far, we’re planning a presentation on HumanLight (a relatively new Humanist Holiday) a photo station for souvenir portraits or fun photos, music from members of our HSGP Humanities Project, stargazing, and bingo. We’re also planning some special kids’ activities: we encourage you to RSVP the number and ages of any children you plan to bring to help us plan for them.
Here’s how you can contribute:
You can donate STUFF or MONEY
The planning committee is requesting donations of new and lightly used items that can be
- sold at our marketplace / tag sale
- included in special raffle baskets, or
- given as door prizes or to Bingo winners
If you’re not sure what we can use, here are some of the items we’ve received in the past: Gift cards, Jewelry, Airline passes, Golf, Weekend at a cabin, Coffee maker (with pods), Household and kitchen gadgets, DVDs, Digital camera, Books, Health/beauty baskets, Gourmet snacks, Personal services (personal training, public speaking coach, chef-prepared dinner), Food and wine baskets, and a great variety of original art. We’ve already begun collecting donations, and we’ll accept them through Saturday, December 8th.
You can donate your TIME before the event
- Do you have ideas to share and time to implement them as a member of the organizing committee?
- Would you be willing to work on a wishlist of items that members could purchase to enhance the Humanist Community Center?
- Are you willing to gather some of the donated items into compelling gift baskets that we’ll offer in raffles at the event?
You can donate your TIME or EXPERTISE at the event
- Could you bring a favorite dish to the potluck?
- Can you bring a telescope and help with stargazing?
- Are you willing to help set up for the party or clean up after the event?
- Could you lead crafts, games, or activities for kids?
As we get closer to the event, we’ll provide more information and updates. If you have any questions at all, or you want donate or volunteer, please contact Rebecca Beltran. Thank you!