addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Humanist Society of Greater Phoenix (HSGP) Message Board › Happiness as described by Paul Wakfer (author of Social Meta-Needs)

Happiness as described by Paul Wakfer (author of Social Meta-Needs)

A former member
Post #: 46
Appears this forum is not well-utilized. I wonder if others will prepare for this discussion or if such study and prep is foreign to some?

Mr Wakfer's title, Social Meta-Needs: A new basis for optimal interaction, names the context for considering our special topic, happiness. The Preface stresses a need for clear communication, which includes agreement on definitions. In our case, the title of Saturday's talk suggests considering happiness as a definition per se; thus, it is likely that we might venture into defining such, as has Mr Wakfer.

In Abstract, an interesting hint at the usefulness of Happiness provides:
"...the only reasonable justice ethic is the complete restoration of a Victim to the State of Happiness in which he would have been if the Violation had not occurred, with the amount and type of Restitution Required being determined solely by the Victim."

Can one measure hir own Happiness, or (other's definitions of) happiness (toward which one might reach, be torn from, ie Harm, or return to)?

Mr Wakfer appears to suggest that regardless of one's intention or awareness, State of Happiness is constantly being assessed but not necessarily integrated conciously, and rather, is a complex realization one is increasingly capable of making with practice, improved skill, and increasing confidence.

Would Happiness from individual to individual ever be comparable, directly? If the analysis is computable, this implies digitizing the data that makes up the evaluation is theoretically possible and thus at some point in the future, subjective evaluations of Happiness State might be compared, like apples to apples.

I'll end here. Encouragements to elaborate!
DJ
Jennifer W.
jennifer2226
Group Organizer
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 5
Thanks for your thoughtful comments! I'd like to encourage more use of the discussion board in this manner. I will promote this and see if we can get more discussions going!