Humanists WA in a Nutshell
The Society consists of people who seek a rational and constructive approach to all human affairs. Humanism provides a secular, moral alternative to religion and dogmatic creeds.
Our aims, written in our constitution are:
- To support rational and humane approaches to human problems on the basis of an informed secularism free from supernaturalism and dogmatic creeds.
- To promote the rights of the individual in the realms of conscience, freedom of expression and civil liberties.
- To promote a secular and ethical system of education free from social, religious or ideological divisions and from all forms of indoctrination.
- To make the Society a living example of the principles of humanism in that members always treat each other with tolerance and respect and so that the Society can be seen by its public actions to be based upon reason and human dignity.
- To provide social, recreational, charitable and benevolent services to members of the Society and generally.
If you're interested in more detail please read our brochure - "What is Humanism?".
Guidelines for Posting in the Discussion Forums
HSWA advocates free speech. However, this Meetup group is the property of HSWA and we reserve the right to remove objectionable material by our elected administrators. Therefore:
- Please ensure your contributions are on topic and relevant to the Society’s objectives.
- People of all backgrounds, including faith backgrounds, are welcome in our group.
- Refrain from making derogatory remarks that are inappropriate, racist, misogynistic, homophobic or hateful.
- Refrain from objectionable personal attacks that are threatening, abusive or obscene.
- Spam promoting commercial products will be removed.
If you see objectionable material or experience an attack in this group please raise your concerns by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Offenders and those engaging in troll-like behaviour will be warned, blocked and ultimately banned by administrators.
Memberships - Voting and Associate Memberships
We like to encourage all who are aligned with Humanist values to engage with the activities of the Society at different levels. We are always happy to see you.
You can participate as an Associate Member here via Meetup and our Facebook group, come to our meetings and gatherings that are not ticketed - FREE of charge.
If you like our message and agenda we strongly encourage you to join us in the Society as a Voting Member by paying a annual Membership fee (see below). The Fee supports the basic needs of keeping the Society running administratively.
Benefits of Being a Voting Member
- CAHS Magazine - Receive quarterly copies of the Council of Australian Humanist Societies (CAHS) magazine - the current quarterly issue is unavailable online & is worth $26 per annum - back issues however are available on the CAHS website;
- Paying at Events - Generally un-ticketed events are FREE. However as a Fee paying member you'll receive discounts or free entry to ticketed HSWA events - Associate Members will have to pay full price for ticketed events;
- Supporting the Aims & Objectives of the Society - We and other members of CAHS act as a lobbying group ensuring that Humanists and Atheists have a voice in society. For example our financial support in the recent NSW school chaplains' case;
- Charity - HSWA is committed to raise funds through events for those charities that are aligned with our values. A proportion of our annual operating profit from membership may be gifted to selected worthwhile causes both in Australia and internationally;
- Voting Rights - You get to vote at our AGM and EGM's, as well as being able to join the organising Committee; and
- Representing the Society - As a paid up member you will be able to represent the Society at associated and official events such as the Global Humanist Convention.
Become a Voting Member or Renew Your Membership
Your membership year as a paid up member will be from the date of your receipt for a whole year. Become a member by:
- Completing the linked Membership Form.
- Email email@example.com and include a:
- Scanned image of your completed form; or
- The provide in your email the requested form details.
- $40 for the waged, $25 for the unwaged, pensioners and students, or $50 for a family membership. The fee can be paid by Online Banking:
- BSB: 066155
- Account: 10054165
- Name: Humanist Society of WA.
- Please remember to put in your name in the narration section so that we know it is from you!
- Print and fill out the linked Membership Form.
- Pay by Cheque:
- Make payable to "The Humanist Society of WA"
- Post to: Erwin Swasbrook, Treasurer HSWA, 179 Lincoln Street, Highgate, WA, 6003 and remember to include your filled out Membership Form.
We then issue you a receipt and put you on our circulation list.
Humanists WA [Humanist Society of WA Inc] is a member organisation of the Council of Australian Humanist Societies www.humanist.org.au who in turn are affiliated with the International Humanist and Ethical Union www.iheu.org.
The principles of Humanism are well explained in the Amsterdam Declaration www.iheu.org/adamdecl.htm.
Post: PO Box 231 North Perth WA 6906