A former member
Post #: 2
I made dinner at the Ronald McDonald House and was asked if I was part of a church. I don't know why people think that only religious people can be generous/moral, etc. I am making dinner again this Friday and if asked again, I plan to say that I am a Humanist. Why should I hide from it, I have nothing to hide from. I can then put a good spin on Humanism and educate people. Have others encountered this?

Kevin
A former member
I haven't encountered such a situation yet. I think I have the confidence to say that I am a Humanist. Be proud of who you are and what you believe in! Like you said, you have nothing to hide.
Ekai M.
user 43945162
Columbus, OH
Post #: 1
This happened to me at the food bank. Then the church members that I was working with started to grill me about my ridiculous beliefs. It was humiliating and I really don't want to volunteer again because of it. :(
HCCO C.
user 29144372
Group Organizer
Columbus, OH
Post #: 1
We try to hold volunteering events on a quarterly basis to avoid conflicts like this. If you think you'd like to host an event and have some more people in your corner, we can do that.
Ekai M.
user 43945162
Columbus, OH
It was at an HCCO event, sadly.
HCCO C.
user 29144372
Group Organizer
Columbus, OH
Ekai, if you'd like to email about the details regarding this experience, I would be happy to address them. Feel free to email me at coordinator@hcco.org. My door is always open and it's our intention to address experiences like this, so our members don't have these experiences in the future. Thank you so much for being willing to share your experiences with us.

Thanks,
Julia